Needing A New Driver

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Needing A New Driver

Postby Deomedes on Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:01 pm

Hey everyone
I posted a while back about having trouble with the Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03) and what to do about it. I have since come to the conclusion that that thread may have been abandoned. My hope here is to ask if anyone can tell me the steps i need to go through in order to locate, find, and install an appropriate driver for that chip set. any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

- Deomedes
Deomedes
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Needing A New Driver

Postby Husse on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:50 am

It uses the intel driver installed by default, but the 965 is on the Compiz blacklist (can't use xgl) so you'll never (?) have compiz
If video is sloppy check /etc/X11/xorg.conf and Section "Device". If driver is set to "vesa" change to "intel"
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby anunez48 on Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:57 pm

what Husse said about the driver is ok, i have the same graphic card. Although this card is blacklisted there is a way to activate compiz and the famous cube( of course under your responsibility), first install this:
sudo aptitude install compizconfig-settings-manager
and then you can do what this small tutorial says, it is for ATI but just look for intel in the file
http://soccerislife8.blogspot.com/2008/ ... 10-if.html
i hope this could help
anunez48
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MagnusB on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:22 pm

I have the same card, you can enable compiz just fine, I used to have a script that did this, I found it at ThinkWiki, can't find it right now.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Deomedes on Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:54 pm

Hey guys,
I've been reading through some of my old posts, since i'm gettin better at knowin exactly what i'm doin. I'm pretty much comfortable with re-installing linux on my computer. Will using the work around mentioned in the link above affect my whole computer or will its effect just be on linuxmint itself?
Deomedes
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support