Something is seriously wrong with my computer

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Something is seriously wrong with my computer

Postby Oblivion on Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:13 pm

First my speakers were buzzing loudly, I fixed that by replugging them. At the same time the CD I was listening to stopped playing. Then I noticed that my power LED light is not on and my HDD light is always on. Now my CD drive wont respond, it's practically dead. And when I rebooted into Windows (I've been in Linux up to this point) it tells me that my hardware has drastically changed and I need to reactivate Windows....

Whats going on? ;-;
Oblivion
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Something is seriously wrong with my computer

Postby rava on Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:46 pm

Sounds like connection problems to me.
You should put every card out of the motherboard and in again, and also every plug of every drive [that is: ide/sata/power], or in other words : reconnect everything.

Also try the cables for the power supply on the main board.

When this won't work try new cables.

HTH, your messages are quite unspecific, I can't think of anything more right now. But of course there could also be a malfunction on the main board.
yours Rava
rava
Level 1
Level 1

Postby McLovin on Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:28 am

Have you installed any new hardware? Anyhting new will cause some "fun" with Linux, and Windows.....well we all know how happy they are to make things easy. If not, try doing what rava said, unplug EVERYTHING and the plug it all back in again, but make sure to but everything back in the exact same place, same slots, same ide connection etc.
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Postby lakehousetech on Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:33 am

Provide some more details so we can help you. We're totally in the dark. Maybe if you can elaborate we can give some advice before you tear your hardware apart?
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Hardware Support