Intel 4965 abgn does not recover Solved

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Intel 4965 abgn does not recover Solved

Postby curtiswtaylorjr on Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:11 am

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ140e with iwl4965 wireless networking. I have been using linuxmint since the release of Daryna and recently I have been losing connection on almost a daily basis. I do internet support so I understand this could be a fact of life. But the problem is my wireless connection does not reconnect without rebooting. I have tried reloading the module and reloading nm-applet. Sometimes this works but is not completely reliable. Any help is appreciated.

Thank You,
Curtis
Last edited by curtiswtaylorjr on Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
curtiswtaylorjr
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Intel 4965 abgn does not recover

Postby Husse on Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:40 am

OK - for some reason (I have not had the time to explore) networking restart does not work on Daryna.
For a wired connection, and for at least some wireless connections right click on network manager and untick "Activate network" followed by ticking it again fixes lost connection.
To solve the problem you could try to change channel for the wireless - I had to do that to get a reliable connection for my wifes win laoptop
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Intel 4965 abgn does not recover

Postby curtiswtaylorjr on Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:38 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply and helpful information. That seems to be working. When the laptop actually drops the signal. Network Manager does not reconnect after following the above directions. In my previous test I disabled and re-enabled the Network Manager and it did reconnect in that senario.
Last edited by curtiswtaylorjr on Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
curtiswtaylorjr
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Intel 4965 abgn does not recover solved

Postby MagnusB on Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:48 pm

Are you connecting to a /b network? I experienced that the driver was insanely unstable when connecting to /b networks, in fact, that is why I started with Mint, it was the only distro that managed to keep that card stable..
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Intel 4965 abgn does not recover re-opened

Postby curtiswtaylorjr on Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:56 am

I am using wireless G w/WPA. I have tried restarting the nm-applet as previously stated. I have to use this in combination with removing and reloading the iwl4965 module.
curtiswtaylorjr
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Hardware Support