Asus A6T + Mint = Works?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Asus A6T + Mint = Works?

Postby duxo on Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:38 pm

Hi.

I've been using Windows as long as I can remember. I've tried linux a couple of times, but due to stupidity and gaming-support I've often thrown it away rather quickly. However, I wanna try it out again. I rarely play any games and if I ever get the need Linux now has a lot that games.

I tried wubi the other day, installing kubuntu. However, I was having a hard time getting my wireless to work and I had a lot of studies to get done, so I dropped it and went back to Windows. I've been sniffing a bit at Mint and I really think this could be the distro that finally makes me change lanes. I am very concerned about hardware support however. I've tried googling to check if anyone has ever teste Mint with Asus A6T (notebook), but I couldn't find anything. Hence this post.

I'm also wondering wether the TV-out will work? I'm the only one in the house that has a tv-out on the laptop so it's kinda necessary for us to watch movies on the television. In other words, it's a must.

So, does anyone have an answer for me? And if there are problems, will they be easy to solve or make me cry?

I think the A6T was released under a different name in the U.S, but I'm not sure.
It's this btw: http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=5& ... odelmenu=1

Hope to be trying out Mint sometime in the next 2 weeks.
P.S. Is there a wubi-lookalike for Mint? Or is the Main/Live CD the only way?

edit;
I found this:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Asus_A6T
Could somebody tell me what of this will and will not work with Mint? So I have a general idea of how much work I will need to put down in getting it all up to speed? My main concern is the wireless (which didn't work out of the box in Ubuntu, it found the card, but couldn't connect or anything), which I will need to, well, read on how to fix the other problems in general.
Thanks.
duxo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Asus A6T + Mint = Works?

Postby Husse on Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:03 pm

No crossposting please - your other post will be deleted
The table for Gentoo that you found is rather revealing, and using that I can tell you that it will work, with a few reservations
I don't know about modem and webcam, but they "should" work if they work in some other Linux. The same can be said about the card reader and bluetooth
The wireless is a problem - I see quite a few complaints about bcm43xx but given how common they are it must still only be a small minority that has problems
But you may have to follow the wiki for this
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/MintWifi
TV out is working without problems I think as long as you watc the same on TV as on the monitor - if you want to have different views it can get tricky (on Windows too as far as I know)
And - no there is no wubi for Mint. It seems that it has to be custom-made by the wubi team or some such....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Asus A6T + Mint = Works?

Postby duxo on Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:38 pm

Thank you very much for the reply.

I'll be installing it next weekend. I've got a chance to keep another laptop next to me, so I can browse guides on that if something doesn't work. I'll keep a Vista-disc ready just in case.

I'll get back to you with any updates (and probably questions).

Hopefully, it will work like a charm, and I can finally stop saving my word-documents every 3rd minute :)
duxo
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support