mouse scrolling

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

mouse scrolling

Postby MintabiePete on Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:05 am

This is really starting to get at me :) I have a dual boot system windows2000/linux-mint bea , and in bea when I am in firefox on the left with the bookmarks I can scroll up and down no worries , but as soon as I try and scroll in the main area , it is awfull , it , overruns itself and is a real battle . Incidentally in win2k the mouse works perfectly especially scrolling using the middle wheel .

By the way this is a USB optical labtec mouse with Left & right and the scrolling wheel in the middle . I use the same type of mouse on another computer with kubuntu and it works perfectly .

Can someone offer me some advice please :D

Thanks
MintabiePete
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Uncle Bob on Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:35 am

MintabiePete, I also have mouse issues (see my post http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=852 ) and are still looking for a way to make it work the way I want it to work. However my mouse works fine the way you want yours, so edit your xorg.conf (located in /etc/X11) so it looks like mine in my post and you should be OK.

Edit by going to terminal and type in sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

you van also have a look at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IntellimouseMousemanBackForwardButtons
Uncle Bob
Level 3
Level 3

Postby MintabiePete on Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:00 am

Thanks for your reply Uncle Bob , I have tried changing xorg.conf but nothing seems to have changed really . May be my display drivers are at fault , it is about all I have not changed .

I can run a live CD (knoppix or ubuntu 6.06 and no problems at all , and I have no problems in W2K if iI boot into it , which leads me to think it is this distro , unfortunately , but I still have not given up yet :)

Cheers

Peter
MintabiePete
Level 1
Level 1

mouse scrolling

Postby nick on Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:55 pm

Hi
Just an idea, but I have the same symptoms when install Edgy/Mint or Etch on this computer
I have found that the screen refresh rate come up at 50hz without the Nvidia Drivers
And at this setting Firefox and Konqueror crawl and web pages break up when i try to scroll them
However after installing Nvidia Driver screen comes up at 75hz and Firefox etc works fine
Maybe of some help-Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Uncle Bob on Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:43 pm

MintabiePete, other than that I don't know what else to suggest. Regarding the display drivers, lets face it, on this front Linux is crap. I have long since given up on getting this to work fine. IMO this is the main reason why more people do not switch to Linux.

It is nonsense and a lie to say that Linux works fine on low spec or old machines. It might be true, but from a visual aspect (ie what you see on your screen even Windows 3.1 lperformed better)

Obviously this is not the case when you have the latest and the most powerful pc on the market. Then everything is brilliant.

In my case I use a Compaq EVO N600c laptop with 512 meg ram, 1gHz proc, and an ATI Radeon Mobility M6 Ly (aka Radeon Mobility 9000) graphics card. I can't even use Beryl on it :( For WiFi at I use a Cisco Aironet PCMCIA card (known as Atheros communications AR5212 802.11abg NIC) which I cannot get to work either...

Performance overall is OK, but graphics wise my machine is quite a let-down. TBH Windows XP performs a lot better on this machine. What I hate most is when you minimise something, it takes a few moments to go away, instead of 'poof' - and its gone. To restore again, in this case Firefox, takes 0.8 seconds (I've timed it) from the moment I clicked on it on the Gnome Panel till its restored. to minimise takes longer - 1.2 seconds.

Until proper display drivers gets sorted out in Linux, most people will still hang on to Windows, or keep their dual boot and Windows partitions.

On the positive side, I bought myself a NAS box over the weekend and was better able to configure it via Linux than what I could using Windows. (Weird or what?)
Uncle Bob
Level 3
Level 3

mouse scrolling

Postby nick on Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:50 pm

"Until proper display drivers gets sorted out in Linux"

Linux Kernel Devs Offer Free Driver Development
The Linux kernel community is offering all companies free Linux driver development... All that is needed is some kind of specification that describes how your device works, or the email address of an engineer that is willing to answer questions every once in a while. If your company is worried about NDA issues surrounding your device's specifications, we have arranged a program... in order to properly assure that all needed NDA requirements are fulfilled. Now your developers will have more time to work on drivers for all of the other operating systems out there, and you can add 'supported on Linux' to your product's marketing material."
http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/07/01/3 ... ml?tid=162

The lack of drivers is due to the companies not down to Linux.

Also: Nvidia Faces Class Action Lawsuit Over Vista Drivers
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl ... 8&from=rss
:) :)
Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Hardware Support