problems ejecting dvd-rom

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

problems ejecting dvd-rom

Postby marty510 on Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:40 pm

I am Linux baffled.
I cannot get my dvd-rom to eject. I have a VCD in it and was going to try and drop the file on it into a folder on my desktop. It's a CD R/W and I wanted to reuse it, but now I can't drop the file where I want it OR eject the drive. Can someone give me the solution to both of these?

I get "cannot eject volume" when i push the eject button. I know the disk is in straight. I even tried to get the drive open with the good old paper clip in the hole in the front..no luck.I spins when I put the paper clip in but that's it.

befuddled and in need, :oops:
marty
marty510
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: problems ejecting dvd-rom

Postby rustyman99 on Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:14 pm

It sounds like it could be a user/group issue for your cd/dvd drive, try
Code: Select all
sudo eject

If that works, check your /etc/fstab for that drive and the user permissions, it should have user in it's text line.
You also need to make sure that user *Marty510* is checked to use optical in groups, I'm not at my work pc so I can't help much more than that right now I'm afraid
rustyman99
Level 1
Level 1

Postby marty510 on Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:43 pm

Well,Select All, then sudo eject DID work...thought I had another funked up drive!
But, kind sir, I'm kind of newbie and I don't understand where or how to find the following you described. I will keep looking in the mean time though. Hope you have some time out to help me me out.
???->

If that works, check your /etc/fstab for that drive and the user permissions, it should have user in it's text line.
You also need to make sure that user *Marty510* is checked to use optical in groups, I'm not at my work pc so I can't help much more than that right now I'm afraid
marty510
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rustyman99 on Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:50 pm

Looking into this and it seems this has been quite a common Ubuntu bug at times.

Try changing the /etc/fstab entry for the dvd drive to the actual mount name of the device first.

Insert a disc, go to your file manager find the dvd drive>right click>properties and it should give some options, one of those options will list the name of the drive, for me this is, /dev/sr0.

Next, as root you need to edit your /etc/fstab, ie, kdesu kate /etc/fstab (kde) or sudo gedit /etc/fstab (gnome) to use this name instead of /dev/dvd (or whatever it's listed as)

In my case with sr0 being the device

/dev/dvd /mnt/dvd   udf   ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0

to
/dev/sr0 /mnt/dvd   udf   ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0

and this should hopefully solve the issue :wink:

N.B. You'll need to reboot for the /etc/fstab changes to take effect iirc
rustyman99
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support