No Sound. "No Sound. No GStreamer found"

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

No Sound. "No Sound. No GStreamer found"

Postby Wintergreen on Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:03 am

This is what I see when I click on my "X'ed out" Volume control (lower right corner of what would be my "system tray" in a Windows system.... : "No Sound. No GStreamer found" [.]

And yet? Every once in a great while my sound DOES show up. Bianca, in my case.

Dual booting (from 2 hard drives). ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 motherboard. Linux Mint Bianca over on the Linux side.

Sound ALWAYS works on the Windows side (in games, and in Win2K), I don't, however, really want to enable any Windows-side media just to get sound. The Windows system is less and less stable the more I open it up.

At the moment, Win2K doesn't even realize the Linux HD is in the system. Linux DOES recognize (most of the time) the Windows HD. SO I generally CAN move files from Linux into Windows, if required/desired). Just not the other way round.

In any case: Sproradic sound is my issue. Suggestions, or investagative threads welcome.

Thx.

Wintergreen
Wintergreen
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: No Sound. "No Sound. No GStreamer found"

Postby Guest on Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:14 am

I'll type this manually, since copy and paste don't work as well as they should. When I click on the volume control icon, lower right, I am rewarded with this: "No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found."

When it works, it shows up fully functional, and fully adjustable. But when it doesn't...I'm screwed.

wintergreen

Re: No Sound. "No Sound. No GStreamer found"

Postby Slocker on Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:58 am

I've been digging around to see what happens and it seems that your motherboard uses audio codec ALC888 which has somekind of bug with this kernel and audio drivers version. I've found a method to workout the problem, but involves compilling some packages from the source, and if you've little GNU/Linux experience might be a little tricky.

If you want to give it a try first write this in a terminal:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install build-essential

And then follow this guide:
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-408148.html

The info it is in the second post. It's in Spanish, but you just follow the command line process, and I wonder you won't have problems. Simply in the first step says you have to download those packages. You can find them here, to the right, in the download section. Download 1.0.16 version, do not dig for the 1.0.14 the guide says, .16 would be fine.
Alex Slocker
Slocker
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Hardware Support