Gigabyte motherboard question

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Gigabyte motherboard question

Postby Zen Mod on Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:47 pm

" Due to different Linux support condition provided by chipset vendors, please download Linux driver from chipset vendors' website or 3rd party website."
This is the only information I found regarding Gigabyte GA-M61VME-S2 L motherboard that was recommended to me. My primary PC is an Acer laptop but often I need to leave the comp online, at home downloading for example, an .iso dvd image and since the only place I can keep my desktop PC is my bedroom, I am literally forced to use my laptop for downloading stuff from internet. The current PC has four cooler fans is and in the evening when everything else becomes quiet, it becomes unbearably noisy. So, there are two ways out, one is an other laptop but that I can't afford it and the aforementioned motherboard would be one of the possible second options. I saw that same hardware config and barely heard it at my friend's home and that would suit me fine. A single core AMD 1600 would also do the job since the last game that I was fascinated with was Diablo2, so I'm hardly into fascinating Giga-Mega resolutions, wild hair raising speed graphic cards and at my fourties, I rather communicate with people than bust and kill in some game. For movies, I have a dvd + TV set, for music a couple of tube amps and hybrid gainclones and stuff like fullrange single driver horn loudspeakers and quite a few good ideas how to spend my excess energy... So, if anyone knows if I can safely install Linux using this motherboard as base or at least a place where it's listed as supported or not supported, I'd appreciate it very much. My own attempts to google it out didn't get me far, actually, got me here...

PS, my friend uses windows because he has to (specialized business software which doesn't work with anything and no chance he would let me install Lin on it just to see if it would be okay... What a friend, huh?

PPS. just found the motherboard listed here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=566529 and it seems that it's ok, the only difference is an L at the end of the model name...
Everything has an end, sausages, however, have two...Image
Zen Mod
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Gigabyte motherboard question

Postby Fred on Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:47 pm

Zen Mod,

I can't say if I have used that exact board or not. But Gigabyte boards with on board Nvida video and Intel LAN have always worked well for me in Linux.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Gigabyte motherboard question

Postby Husse on Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:07 pm

I looked at it briefly and it seems OK
I have a (separate) GF 6600GX PCI-E on nforce4 and it works fine except I have to use "Safe graphics mode" when I install
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Hardware Support