Laptops holds I/O Wait 100%

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Laptops holds I/O Wait 100%

Postby Fred on Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:05 pm

orduek,

I gave you my best shot. Over heating sounds a bit unlikely, wrong symptoms, but stranger things have happened. It might be screen saver, graphics driver related though. You might have something there. It just sounds so hard drive related though.

I know.... I am rambling. Let me think on it a bit. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby orduek on Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:52 am

well thank you Fred.
I would like to find the solution.
I will wait for some ideas fro you and Husee.
:)
orduek
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:01 pm

orduek,

Sorry my friend, but I just don't have any good ideas for you. I still kind of suspect the hard drive but I have no real facts to hang my hat on there. If you have a source to use another hard drive just to test the theory, I would give it a shot. But I don't feel confident enough to recommend you purchase one to find out.

If it isn't the hard drive and it does the same thing on rpm distros as well as Debian distros, It is probably a mother board problem. I know, not what you want to hear. I just don't have any other answers. Sorry.

You might try the Ubuntu forum. There are a lot more people there. Maybe someone there has run across this problem before.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Fred on Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:38 pm

orduek,

Before we get carried away here let's try something. Disable the screen saver and see if that does anything to the problem. If not, remove the proprietary driver and go back to the open source driver, to see if that has any effect.

I really don't see the connection, but stranger things have happened, especially with proprietary drivers. It is worth a shot anyway.

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Husse on Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:56 am

Just a comment - it is a laptop :)
With that I mean that different parts are closer connected not only physically but electricly and logically as well
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Fred on Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:20 pm

Husse, you have a very good point. All comments are appreciated. I am out of ideas, which usually doesn't take long. :-)

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Husse on Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:21 pm

I am out of ideas, which usually doesn't take long. :-)

Haven't noticed that....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby orduek on Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:29 am

First, thank you very much for the effort.
I'll try to disable screensaver to see whats happen.
I didn't understand the rpm distro - why should it be different? I've never installed one properly (If you say thats might be the solution i'll try Fedora core).
And about the Ubuntu forum - tried. still no answer for a long, long time there.
and again, Thank You Very Much :)
orduek
Level 1
Level 1

Postby orduek on Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:20 am

Do you think changing the kernel to -rt kernel will make a difference?
orduek
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Hardware Support