Best place for hdparm tweaks?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
funkster1

Best place for hdparm tweaks?

Post by funkster1 »

Good evening y'all,

I've been wondering where best to put my hdparm.conf file or general hdparm tweaks.
So I have edited the hdparm.conf found in '/etc', but I don't know if I should put it maybe in
'rcx.d or even elsewhere.
Basically I want the following commands to be executed at start time:
  • hdparm -q -u1 -q -c1 -q -d1 -q -k1 /dev/hdb
  • hdparm -q -S0 /dev/sda /dev/sdb
  • hdparm -q -m16 -q -c3 -q -k1 -q -d1 -q -u1 -q -S0 /dev/hda /dev/hdc /dev/hdd
So somebody enlighten me please :D

TIA
Raphael ;)

P.S.: the way it's configured right now in '/etc/hdparm.conf' is as follows (if that is relevant somehow)

Code: Select all

command_line {
       hdparm -q -m16 -q -c3 -q -k1 -q -d1 -q -u1 -q -S0 /dev/hda /dev/hdc /dev/hdd
}

command_line {
	hdparm -q -S0 /dev/sda /dev/sdb
}

command_line {
	hdparm -q -u1 -q -c1 -q -d1 -q -k1 /dev/hdb
}
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
funkster1

Re: Best place for hdparm tweaks?

Post by funkster1 »

Thanks a lot Ed.
So I had it all set correctly 8)

Raphael ;)
Husse

Post by Husse »

Tinkering with hdparm can cause physical damage to your hard drive!
This is one of the few softwares that can do physical damage so it should be used with utmost care
funkster1

Post by funkster1 »

Yup, you're both right guys. The fact that it can damage your HDD's should be taken into serious/sincere consideration.
And yes, I am (was) well aware of this fact, as I've spent a considerable amount of time with the man pages of hdparm, researching other options/solutions/cautions to the effect online etc. Also, I've done some considerable testing on my system before goingwith these commands

So note to anybody else, DON'T USE the code I have pasted, since they're only good for MY OWN system.

Cheers
Raphael ;)

Return to “Hardware Support”