Acer Travelmate Marvell Yukon 88e8071 Ethernet

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Acer Travelmate Marvell Yukon 88e8071 Ethernet

Postby kimmy on Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:59 pm

I bought an Acer Travelmate with a Marvell Yukon 88e8071 ehternetcard onboard and wanted to install ubuntu gutsy.
So far the installation finished succesfully but there seems to be no way of getting connected to the LAN / WAN correctly.

Then I tried the latest Mint, Daryna Main and fortunately the connection worked perferctly!

Now I wonder if there is any way of getting this card to behave properly with gutsy? (or next week: hardy)
Wich driver is used in Mint, and is it portable to a regular ubuntu, too?
kimmy
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Acer Travelmate Marvell Yukon 88e8071 Ethernet

Postby Fornhamfred on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:00 pm

Why not stick with Mint, it is a much better experience.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Acer Travelmate Marvell Yukon 88e8071 Ethernet

Postby Zen Mod on Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:02 pm

If you check the "About Mint" splash, you'll see Daryna is actually based on Gutsy. I prefer Mint 'cause that elephant poop brown is just not to my liking. I also run a bare Ubuntu (installed from minimalinstallCD - some 9Megs or so) but some things need to be installed to have applications, otherwise what would the system be good for? Basically, procedures, hardware support comes from basically same repositories and I don't see why something that works with Mint wouldn't work with Gutsy. Of course, it's pretty hard to get rid of that "Human" theme, choosing Mint over "Human" Ubuntu makes it much simpler, easier and prettier. Didn't try KDE Mint, but had some serious problems and hard times with Kubuntu (up to Hardy Alpha 6 release) and then, simply gave up... On my desktop, I have Mint Daryna and on my Acer Extensa Ubuntu Gutsy and Mint Daryna. Except for some apps, no difference in hardware support or settings.
Everything has an end, sausages, however, have two...Image
Zen Mod
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support