Sound driver from Hardy Heron?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Sound driver from Hardy Heron?

Postby Empty on Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:37 am

Hi.
After years with Windows I decided to try Linux on my laptop and ended up with Ubuntu 7.10. After having problems with the sound, when I plug in my headphone the internal speaker still keeps playing and the FN volume shortcut did'nt work, I tried installing Hardy Heron and voila the sound problems were gone. But I kept having other problems with Ubuntu so I tried Linux Mint and its perfect! Part from the sound problem again :wink:
So what i'm trying to ask here is, is it possible to get the sound driver from Hardy Heron to my Mint installation?

Thomas
Empty
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Sound driver from Hardy Heron?

Postby jokersloose on Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:18 am

Thomas,

Welcome to Mint. :) I was wondering what are the spec's on your laptop. I loaded Mint on my son's HP dv6700 and I am having the same issue with his sound. He has a Nvidia chip set for his sound. I wonder who made the choice to make the headphone jacks a software switch instead of a MOBO switch , LOL. What are some of the "issues" you had with HH when you loaded it on your laptop? I believe we should have a Mint 5.0 in May, which will be based off of HH (someone please correct me if my date is off).

Again welcome to Mint.

James
jokersloose
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Sound driver from Hardy Heron?

Postby Empty on Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:45 pm

Hi and thanks James!
I have a Acer 5050 laptop with 2.2Ghz Turion CPU, 1Gb memory, 120Gb harddrive and Realtec ALC883 soundcard.
The most annoying issue I had with Ubuntu were that it froze from time to time. The calendar did'nt work and touchpad did'nt either work satisfying.
But when I installed Mint all these problems disappeared, just the soundproblem left.
Hope Mint 5.0 solves this.
Empty
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support