Brother DCP 7040 Install..newbie here

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Brother DCP 7040 Install..newbie here

Postby edog79 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:40 am

I am new to Linux and love it. The only issue I am having is it seems alot of the thinkgs you need to do are in the terminal. I have a brother DCP 7040 that I need to be able to use the scanner...I was using heavily in Windows 7. ANyhow, the printer is working but can't get scanner to work. On the brother website, it gives options for Linux, but really don't know what to do with the info. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
edog79
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Brother DCP 7040 Install..newbie here

Postby pdc_2 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:30 pm

you are using Mint 13 ? and you are using 32bit or 64bit?

I see brother advise issuing two commands before you start the download: I enclose them below in quotes: if you copy and paste

sudo aa-complain cupsd

and

sudo mkdir /usr/share/cups/model
............this may well already exist............

If you go here

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... index.html

and select the top box, it is called Download

that gets you to here

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... d_scn.html

(If you use the Edit..Find function on your browser, you find that the DCP-7040 is a brscan3 model)

....so you need brscan3 ........and Mint is derived from ubuntu so uses debian packages so you need those ending in .deb

.......and choose the 32bit or 64bit as appropriate.................click to download the brscan3 deb package (32bit or 64bit); if gdebi installer jumps in and offers to install, let it ..

from this same page, select and download and install the appropriate scan-key tool (ie .deb package and appropriate 32bit or 64bit .......)

if you then issue the command

sudo dpkg -l | grep Brother
...........that just looks to see the scanner driver and scan-key-tool is installed.........

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

TO USE YOUR SCANNER.....Brother say you must edit a file........here is what they say to do

sudo gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules

then ...add the following two lines to the end of the device list (ie copy and paste the two lines below in the file that was opened by gedit, which is a text editor..............

# Brother scanners
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

............they say :

(paste these two lines in Before the line "# The following rule will disable ..."):

If there is "LABEL="libsane_rules_end"", add the 2 lines before "LABEL="libsane_rules_end"".

...............opening up my /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules file with gedit, I have the LABEL="libsane_rules_end at the very end of the file; so scroll to the very end of the file and likely you will have the same; paste the two lines in just above

Phew!

that is my attempt to understand Brother's instructions and get your scanner going for you; most folks seem very pleased with them once operational...........
pdc_2
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Hardware Support