USB flash drive not recognized in Linux Mint [SOLVED]

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

USB flash drive not recognized in Linux Mint [SOLVED]

Postby automouse13 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:10 pm

I installed Linux Mint 13 MATE on my HP laptop and everything works fine except that my Sandisk 32GB flash drive is not recognized. There is nothing wrong with this flash drive because it works in my Windows 7 partition, with my friends notebook also with Win 7 and a MAC desktop. I have tried formatting the drive but still to no avail.

I appreciate in advance any help I can get.

Thanks!
Last edited by automouse13 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
automouse13
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: USB flash drive not recognized in Linux Mint

Postby remoulder on Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:47 am

automouse13 wrote:tried formatting the drive

With what filesystem. Why do you say it is not recognized, have you checked the output of lsusb with the drive inserted?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Postby automouse13 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:26 pm

The flash drive is formatted with FAT32 and when say not recognized it's just that. I plug in flash drive and the activity light flashes but the drive never comes up in the file manager. I'm not sure what LSUSB is. Thanks for your help.
automouse13
Level 1
Level 1

Postby remoulder on Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:11 pm

automouse13 wrote:drive never comes up in the file manager

This doesn't mean it's not recognized only that it's not mounted. If you plug the drive in then open a terminal, type lsusb (lowercase) and press Enter, it will list all the USB devices seen by the system. If your drive is listed then it's recognized but may not be mountable. In that case try opening Disk Utility if it's in the menu, the drive should be listed there and you can mount or format it.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Postby automouse13 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:19 pm

I did the LSUSB thing and I did see my flash drive listed there. So next I went to the disk utility and reformatted the drive then mounted it from there. It worked. Now when I insert the flash drive if I wait about a minute it will pop up in the file manager and I can mount it from there. This works for me and thanks for you help.
automouse13
Level 1
Level 1

Re: USB flash drive not recognized in Linux Mint [SOLVED]

Postby Naiorino on Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:10 pm

Hey guys so my usb ports havent been working for a while even when i had windows installed on my emachines e725 i just put a fresh copy of mint 16 on it via dvd and what do u know, none of my flash drives are recognized in here either :evil: . what can i do? are the ports broken? how can i see if my computer sees the ports at all. im VERY new to linux and could use the help. thanks!

:wink:
Naiorino
Level 1
Level 1

Re: USB flash drive not recognized in Linux Mint [SOLVED]

Postby gold_finger on Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:09 pm

Naiorino wrote:Hey guys so my usb ports havent been working for a while even when i had windows installed on my emachines e725 i just put a fresh copy of mint 16 on it via dvd and what do u know, none of my flash drives are recognized in here either :evil: . what can i do? are the ports broken? how can i see if my computer sees the ports at all. im VERY new to linux and could use the help. thanks!

:wink:

Hi Naiorino,
You should start your own new topic for this. Most people skip by the old ones marked "Solved" already and will not realize that someone new is asking a question. When you start your new post, plug a USB into one of the ports, wait 15 seconds, then open a terminal and enter the following:
Code: Select all
lsusb

Provide a copy of that output as part of your new post.
Add "Solved" to title of thread if solution is found. (Go to your first post and hit "Edit" button.) This helps make it easier for others to find solutions that work.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.
gold_finger
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support