Screen rotation with touch screen issue

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
samandiriel

Screen rotation with touch screen issue

Post by samandiriel »

I've just gotten a Windpad 110W from a friend and have been playing with it. Very happy with Linux Mint, which worked flawlessly out of the box and is far snappier than Windows.

I'd like to use this as an eReader as well, which ideally means rotating the screen 90 degrees. I can rotate the screen no probem, but the touch screen sensing (eGalax) doesn't seem to follow the monitor rotation. I tried installing xinput_calibrator and recalibrating, but (unsurprisingly) that doesn't affect the touch sensing orientation. I suspect I need to diddle with my xorg.conf or xinput somehow, but I could really use a pointer in the right direction!

I've tried several things to no avail, such as

Code: Select all

xrandr -o left
xinput set-int-prop 10 "Evdev Axes Swap" 8 1
xinput set-int-prop 10 "Evdev Axis Calibration" 32 4052 36 35 4156
and

xrandr -o left
xinput --set-prop "eGalax Inc. USB TouchController" "Evdev Axes Swap" 1
xinput --set-prop "eGalax Inc. USB TouchController" "Evdev Axis Inversion" 1, 0
Any insights?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Favux

Re: Screen rotation with touch screen issue

Post by Favux »

Hi samandiriel,

Are there two touch events in 'xinput list'? What is its output? You might be using the wrong device name if there is both a single finger (1FGT) and multi-touch event (>= 2FGT). Which I believe the recent eGalax driver supports.

You could take a peek at a HP TX2z evdev touch rotation script here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... count=1084 Might be helpful.

Also for Natty 11.04 evdev axis inversion and swap was broken and Ubuntu said they wouldn't fix it. So we had to go to the CTM (coordinate transformation matrix) method. But I think they relented and inversion and swap work now. Not sure.
samandiriel

Post by samandiriel »

Favux wrote:Hi samandiriel,

Are there two touch events in 'xinput list'? What is its output? You might be using the wrong device name if there is both a single finger (1FGT) and multi-touch event (>= 2FGT). Which I believe the recent eGalax driver supports.

You could take a peek at a HP TX2z evdev touch rotation script here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... count=1084 Might be helpful.

Also for Natty 11.04 evdev axis inversion and swap was broken and Ubuntu said they wouldn't fix it. So we had to go to the CTM (coordinate transformation matrix) method. But I think they relented and inversion and swap work now. Not sure.
Thanks for the link Favux, but unfortunately the script uses more or less the same commands I've already tried, and so unsurprisingly doesn't work. Touches still don't correspond to anyplace rational on the display.

And I definitely only have a single touch device listed on xinput, the eGalax Inc. USB TouchController. Aside from that there's just the virtual core xtext pointer and something called "MSI EPF USB", which I think is the backlight controller.
Favux

Post by Favux »

Alright. What release are you using?

Xorg -version

cat /etc/issue
You could try the CTM method detailed on the Multi-monitor HOW TO: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=112852 Tablet PC matrices are in Appendix 1. Unfortunately you'll probably run into the X Server bug that causes the pointer to jump around when an input tool is using xf86-input-evdev. They fixed the static unrotated masked valuator case for it upstream (X Server 1.13.0) but apparently the fix doesn't work for rotation and/or touchscreens. A patch to fix that was submitted to the original bug report.
samandiriel

Post by samandiriel »

Favux wrote:Alright. What release are you using?

Xorg -version

cat /etc/issue
You could try the CTM method detailed on the Multi-monitor HOW TO: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=112852 Tablet PC matrices are in Appendix 1. Unfortunately you'll probably run into the X Server bug that causes the pointer to jump around when an input tool is using xf86-input-evdev. They fixed the static unrotated masked valuator case for it upstream (X Server 1.13.0) but apparently the fix doesn't work for rotation and/or touchscreens. A patch to fix that was submitted to the original bug report.
I'm on Xorg v1.11.3 + Mint v13
I've also tried fiddling with the matrices (found a tutorial elsewhere), but to no good effect yet :( I'll read thru the one you've linked to and see if it offers any new insight, but a quick skim doesn't look hopeful :(
Favux

Post by Favux »

Could be rotation for the eGalax driver isn't working at all.

Depending on which eGalax driver you might have a file /etc/eGTouchL.ini. If so what happens if you turn rotation on (changing 0 to 1) in it?

DetectRotation			1
Does that help or does it just complain you broke the daemon?

Return to “Hardware Support”