Sound has disappeared [SOLVED]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ummagumma
Level 1
Level 1

Sound has disappeared [SOLVED]

Post by ummagumma »

Hi, hoping for a wee bit of help.

I installed Minux mint 13 MATE edition and everything has worked BRILLIANTLY, better than I could have hoped for. I haven't even looked at Windows for months now :)

Trouble is, although my sound was working flawlessly before, I appear to have made a fatal error in booting up Mint with a pair of headphones plugged into the jack. The sound came through the headphones perfectly well but after I unplugged them...nothing. I can't get sound to come through the normal speakers again :(

It's almost as though Mint has decided that headphones are the only thing I want to use from now on. It's not...it was a mistake :)

It seems daft that of all the things that could have gone wrong with my journey into Linux, it's THIS that's flummoxed me.

Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Sound has disappeared

Post by remoulder »

Have you checked the Output tab settings in Sound Preferences/Settings?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
ummagumma
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Sound has disappeared

Post by ummagumma »

I did, and all seemed in order but when "test speakers" was pressed there was nothing.

However...as of this morning it's, erm...fixed. I have no idea how, or why it happened in the first place or how and why it solved itself but it has.

All very odd.

Return to “Hardware Support”