[Solved]Mint 14 Cinnamon: Terrible performance with fglrx

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
user88

[Solved]Mint 14 Cinnamon: Terrible performance with fglrx

Post by user88 »

I just installed Mint 14 64bit with Cinnamon because I really like cinnamon and wanted to use a distro with newer packages than my current distro (Debian). Mint works fine with the gallium open source drivers, but it runs a bit hot and loud, and I wanted better performance for 3D games. I issued these commands to install:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install build-essential cdbs fakeroot dh-make debhelper debconf libstdc++6 dkms libqtgui4 wget execstack libelfg0 dh-modaliases
sudo apt-get install fglrx fglrx-amdcccle
It seems to work correctly, but the performance is horrible. Just moving windows around is very very choppy. It's far worse than the open source drivers. I disabled "tear free" in the catalyst control center. It didn't help at all.

I uninstalled the drivers. Back on Gallium open source and it worked alright again. Then I tried downloading the drivers from AMD. They don't work all for me. I boot to text mode and Xorg shows me the log. It says that it couldn't detect a display.

Next, I uninstalled that, and installed the fglrx-updates from the repo along with it's catalyst control center and now I'm back to the terrible performance I was getting with the regular fglrx.

Does anyone have any ideas or advice? I know my card should work, as it works in Debian Testing (Wheezy) with gnome 3. It works when I install the drivers from the Debian repository and when I install the drivers off of AMD's website.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Edit: I already should add that the card doesn't sound overworked. It's very quiet, just as you would expect on the desktop. It's much quieter than the open source driver.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
down8ve
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 14 Cinnamon: Terrible performance with fglrx

Post by down8ve »

Ditto to this question. I've tried installing fglrx drivers on several Ubuntu-based distros for my AMD A8 APU system and no luck. Tried several how-tos, ranging from the Ubuntu-supplied drivers to those directly from AMD and no good.

Most common error is to go through the entire install process and the final " sudo aticonfig --initial -f" command returns the dreaded "aticonfig command not found" error.
user88

Post by user88 »

Hmm. Please make you're own thread. (I don't mean to be rude. I just think that we have unrelated probkems)
down8ve
Level 1
Level 1

Post by down8ve »

No offense taken. The cause of my problem may be similar to yours, in that the way you are installing the drivers may not give the results you are hoping for.

Just now, I was able to fix my install of Onyx64 (based on Ubuntu 12.04LTS) using the following method:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Binar ... d_graphics

Although this install method is listed as "Manually installing Catalyst 12.6, special case for Intel/AMD hybrid graphics," What you may be interested in are the initial steps to install the drivers. Never mind after step 11, unless it pertains to your particular setup.

People should remember if they follow this method to replace the name of the driver with that of the one they've downloaded. I'm using amd-driver-catalyst-12.10-x86.x86_64.
user88

Post by user88 »

Well it's fixed. How? It just worked when I booted into it again today. I have no idea why. I'm still on fglrx-updates and it just works. I think it's more of a performance issue than an install issue. It's still a bit glitcy for less than a second at random times, but for the most part it's fine now. I wish I had a solution to share, but I don't. I'm just happy that I can use cinnamon now.

Return to “Hardware Support”