Nadia + Intel GPU, cinnamon takes up 100% processor

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
geoffm

Nadia + Intel GPU, cinnamon takes up 100% processor

Post by geoffm »

Yesterday I upgraded to Nadia and it worked fine, I spent a couple of hours installing and configuring everything. Today I had to reinstall because my /boot got corrupted... now cinnamon takes up typically 80-100% of processor in System Monitor, the desktop is unusable and it shuts down after 20 minutes from overheating. login on cinnamon 2d or disabling effects doesn't even help.
We we warned there were performance issues with "Intel drivers" but I could never expect something as bad. I have a Mobile Intel 965 Chipset but when I go in the Details in cinnamon it says the Graphics is a Gallium something. Seems like the drivers are wrong.
I don't know if I should play around trying to find a fix or reinstall Maya or some other distribution so I can use my computer without booting windows...

Edit: see http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 3&p=650028
kmb42vt wrote: the easiest way right now to make sure the proper Intel driver loads is once the laptop boots up, check the output of "inxi -G" in the terminal. If it the output states: "Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x301)" then log out and log back in again and the correct Intel driver should be loaded. Check the output of "inxi -G" again to make sure.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
geoffm

Re: Nadia + Intel GPU, cinnamon takes up 100% processor

Post by geoffm »

I rebooted back to LM14. now the identified graphics is Intel 965 (also when I do inxi -G) however the performance problem is still persistent.
geoffm

Post by geoffm »

I ran dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg-video-intel, then I reinstalled the driver using synaptics then I reset the x server with Ctrl Alt Backspace, now graphics are smooth and cinnamon doesn't devour my processor. will report later if the "fix" is permanent, if not, whether it's reproductible.

Edit: it seems to be reproductible. "inxi -G" output is different in wrong and good configurations
wrong:
Card: Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary)
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: vesa,intel (unloaded: fbdev) Resolution: 1280x800@60.0hz, 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x301) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.0
good:
Card: Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary)
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 965GM GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.0
no need to do dpkg-reconfigure, apparently.
Par A Mour

Post by Par A Mour »

I solved this problem removing all packages "xserver-xorg-video-xxxxxxx" with Synaptic and selecting the xserver-xorg-video-intel package only, then doing: dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg-video-intel

From Mexico (sorry .. I'm so bad writing English)....
Oyabunbaba

Post by Oyabunbaba »

Par A Mour
Hope that will not bring any new issues, but this is upstream problem from ubuntu, wonder when they fill fix it, hopefully before Mint 15 :P

Return to “Hardware Support”