Fixed screen display resolution default setting 1024x800

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kcaldwel

Re: Fixed screen display resolution default setting 1024x800

Post by kcaldwel »

It only worked for a day. My screen resolution has gone back top the default again. One of the other reolutions I had put in using the instructions aboove is still there, but if I select it the screen goes black.

If anyone knows how to make a screen resolution change stick in XFCE I'd sure like to know how.

Thanks.

Kevin
JazzAzz

Post by JazzAzz »

mactece wrote:This is how I fixed my screen resolution (default display) problem in Mint 14

Background: When I installed Mint 14 (Nadia) it could not detect my monitor and defaulted to 1024x800 (4:3). It would not detect my 1600x900 dell monitor with vga connector (the only wire provided).

Solution: I followed the instructions in this post on Ubuntu Geek: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-change-di ... randr.html with the modifications in the notes, below. Please do read the post carefully and try out the instructions in the way they describe before making permanent changes.

Notes: Mint 14 uses MDM (Mint Display Manager), not gdm or kdm, so to make the changes persist the file to edit is /etc/mdm/Init/Default. An easy way to do this is to navigate to the file using Nemo (the MInt file manager), then right-click on the file and select open as root. Now when you double-click on the file it will open for editing in gedit. Add the lines as described in the Ubuntu Geek post, save and reboot.

When the computer restarts you should notice the splash screen is at the correct resolution but when you login you will have the old setting. To fix this, go to prefences, displays and you should now be able to select your prefered resolution. This should now persist whenever you login. Other users will need to change their resoltion, when they next login. (If anyone can improve on this, please post below.)

If you use these instructions successfully it would be nice if you posted to let me know that they work. Thanks.

Enjoy :)

My Problem on my Old HP Slimline machine that was once XP but now Mint 17, the native resolution of the new Acer S200HQL widescreen I bought yesterday is 1600 X 900. But when I followed that xrandr and typed in Xrandr, 1600 X 900 was not one listed, so I am screwed and can not display that resolution in any way that I can find. When I bring up, "Display," my only two choices are 1024 x 768, and 800 X 600, with (4:3) after both of them, SCREWED AND TATTOOED I tell ya>>LOL. Also if I click on, "Detect Display," it does NOTHING.
JazzAzz

Post by JazzAzz »

P.S. From my last post. When I did the "xrandr" command, I saw this:

"screen 0: minimum 320 X200, current 1020 X 768, maximum 32767 X 32767"

So since 1600 X 900 is well within that MAXIMUM, I ought to be able to add it, but reading various sites with the terminal commands to do that is so so confusing to a novice like me, giving me a headache, then reading peoples results, with many negative effects. No way Jose, at least for me :-)

Isn't there an easier way, like using the Synaptic Package Manager, or the Software Manager???

Why don't the good folks at Mint, put all the resolutions in with an UPDATE???

SCHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESH, this can be so agravating
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

There is an easier way, but it may be expensive: buy new Linux compatible hardware. Then you don't have to fiddle with this, just your display settings in your settings manager.

This thread is for us cheap-skates who can't afford the nuclear solution, so we try and get our old hardware to learn new Linux tricks.

Return to “Hardware Support”