Auto Mount Windows Disks [RESOLVED]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bitbanger

Auto Mount Windows Disks [RESOLVED]

Post by bitbanger »

I have a dual boot system with Mint-13 and Windows XP. I would like to have the two windows disks mounted when Mint-13 boots. There is probably something I could put in the fstable or some similar file.

Any help would be appreciated.

- bitbanger
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Auto Mount Windows Disks

Post by lahirdenganselamat »

the filename is fstab. There's a lot of articles describing how to edit /etc/fstab so, i think you should give google/ddg a go :D

good luck bitbanger :)
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Templates!

Here is an NTFS template:

Code: Select all

UUID=DA9056C19056A3B3 /media/WinD ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=000,uid=1000,windows_names 0 0
To use it:

[1] If you currently have the partition mounted unmount it.

[2] Run the following command to get the correct UUID number for your partitions:

sudo blkid -c /dev/null
[3] Create a permanent home for the partition to live in ( Mount Point ). In this example I used /media/WinD:

sudo mkdir /media/WinD
[4] Edit fstab as root:

gksu gedit /etc/fstab
[5] Add the template with the correct UUID and Mount Point.

[6] Run the following command to test for errors and mount the partition without requiring a reboot:

sudo mount -a
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
bitbanger

Post by bitbanger »

Thanks for the replies.

The response from altair4 resolved a problem I was having with the swap file that I didn't know about. Thanks.

Unfortunately, altair4's suggestion didn't work, but I didn't give enough information. The particular situation I have is the Windows XP partitions are "vfat" rather than "ntfs". Even with simple minded modification I still get a failure. Since my directory is "fat32" perhaps linux needs another keyword in the /etc/fstab file. Perhaps the suggested information field that began with "defaults, ... " needs to change because it is not "ntfs".

After a lot of running around I have the following information/questions.

The problem seems to center on the provided mount point directory. When I use the GUI to do the mount, the system won't use these mount points but produces its own. The command "ls -l" identified the directory I produce as root:root where the usable one in owner:owner. A "chown" change doesn't help. The permissions were 766 in my creation but 700 in the usable ones. A"chmod" didn't help. The "ls -l" output also gives the next field after the ownership information as 4096 for my creation and 32768 for the usable directory. I don't know what this means or how to change/create it.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

A fat32 template:

UUID=C4DB-C1B0 /media/WinD vfat defaults,utf8,umask=000,uid=1000 0 2
Note: The permissions of the mount itself always replaces the permissions of the mount point before the mount. That's true for ntfs, fat32, ext4, etc..
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
bitbanger

Re: Auto Mount Windows Disks [RESOLVED]

Post by bitbanger »

altair4,

You were right. I forgot that Linux is case sensitive, had hexidecimals in lowercase. Spending too much time in the Windows world. Sorry it took so long to respond, reality keeps interfering with my childhood.

- bitbanger

Return to “Hardware Support”