Hard drive accessed every couple of seconds?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Hard drive accessed every couple of seconds?

Postby Fred on Mon May 05, 2008 10:20 pm

Cambo105,

I honestly don't know what default setting Ubuntu uses. 128 sounds like it would be in the ball park, but I am sure someone else will chime in and tell us the correct default setting.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby ed@Mint on Tue May 06, 2008 5:54 am

The default value seems to be 128 indeed.
Try 'sudo hdparm -I /dev/sda' (capital 'i'), and search the line 'recommended acoustic management value' in 'capabilities'.
You can also try -i (small 'i') and -v as options.
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Fred on Tue May 06, 2008 6:10 am

There you go. I knew Ed would come to the rescue. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby ed@Mint on Tue May 06, 2008 6:20 am

Fred wrote:There you go. I knew Ed would come to the rescue. :-)

Fred

:wink: That's nothing compared to your detailed and wise explanations...
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Fred on Tue May 06, 2008 8:29 am

Hey guys and gals, I did confirm that ext3 writeback mode does disable the journal sync. This greatly reduces the I/O activity with the hard drive and is faster than the ordered mode.

If I had a laptop, I would use the ext3 writeback mode. This should greatly reduce the spin up down cycles for a given duty cycle setting.

What you would give up for this advantage is that the journal would only be updated by the normal flush to disk fetch operations. If you had a power failure, as an example, you would loose whatever data had not been flushed to disk since the last normal, on demand cycle. With ordered mode, which is the default, you would at most loose the last five seconds. It is a trade off that I would gladly do on a laptop. After all, how often do you have a power failure on a laptop.

If you are interested, the instructions for changing the mode are in one of my earlier posts.

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Previous

Return to Hardware Support