64-bit, how to determine?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yonnie
Level 3
Level 3

64-bit, how to determine?

Post by yonnie »

How do you know when looking at a cpu number if it's going to run 64-bit software? I have an old Dell with an Intell dual-core hyper-threading cpu installed and it won't run 64-bit software. Is there another parameter I need to look for when buying new chips?

I thought that the HT was the key, could it be the MOBO?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
We are children of children and do as we are shown.
-James Curran
eanfrid

Re: 64-bit, how to determine?

Post by eanfrid »

It is only a matter of cpu architecture. Check Wikipedia about your cpu, for example.
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I think I can safely say this: Almost all Intel multi-core cpu's are 64 bit. It might be the mobo. Post some specifics.
yonnie
Level 3
Level 3

Re: 64-bit, how to determine? [SOLVED]

Post by yonnie »

The ubuntu link was worthless. The intell wiki was slightly more helpful but not really. Apparently there is a huge plethora of pentium 4 chips out there and no clear means of determining which does what in terms a non-intell employee would recognize.

I have a computer pentium 4 dual core with HT in one system that runs 64-bit no problem. I have one another with a pentium 4 dual core with HT in another that won't run 64 bit. The only way I can determine which will run 64 in advance is to take the computer apart, remove the heat sink, read the number, look it up? That's stupid!

I found an easier way, just stick a live thumb-drive with 64-bit LM on it. If it says it needs a 64bit cpu and won't boot, then I need to investigate what cpu can be used to make it so.
We are children of children and do as we are shown.
-James Curran
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

actually the UB link was on the right track

Code: Select all

grep lm /proc/cpuinfo
(if you see lm outputed in red is 64bit)
or

Code: Select all

grep flags /proc/cpuinfo
(look for lm)

additional info >> http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-how- ... it-or-not/

Return to “Hardware Support”