No sound on Dell Inspiron 1720? solved

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
g4reth

No sound on Dell Inspiron 1720? solved

Post by g4reth »

Please could someone take pity on me and help me configure my sound card on my Dell Inspiron 1720?

I am a total beginner to Linux (and not much of an expert with PCs full-stop!) and although I have tried a few things that I've picked up on this forum and elsewhere, have had no luck.

If I click the volume control icon, I get: No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found.

Beyond that, I'm a bit lost! Sorry . . . I'm sure there's stuff you'll want me to provide, but I'm afraid you'll have to ask for it - beyond opening the Terminal I'm pretty much a loser there also!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Andy Mack

Re: No sound on Dell Inspiron 1720?

Post by Andy Mack »

Create a new document in you home directory,
copy and paste

sudo apt-get install module-assistant
sudo m-a update
sudo m-a prepare
sudo m-a a-i alsa

save it as whatever you like

Rightclick the document, select the permission's tab, tick the box which says Execute: Allow executing file as a program, then close

2xClick the doc and click run in terminal

It will start compiling, when asked to continue press Y enter.

It can seem as if it is stuck but it justs takes a little time.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Thank you for your interest in Mint
To help you solve your problem we need to know exactly what Mint you use.
By that I mean version (like Celena or Daryna or numerical if you prefer) and edition (main = Gnome, KDE or some of the Community Editions like xfce or fluxbox or the mini edition)
We also need information about your hardware. You can obtain that by running
lspci
in a terminal
If it is something connected to USB you run
lsusb
and similarly for other 'buses' like pcmcia....
To copy from a terminal mark (with the mouse) and right click
Then paste into a code box (it does not use as much space then)
Thank you
g4reth

Post by g4reth »

Just to say a big thank you to Andy Mack for solving the problem! I now have sound and all's well with the world (for now!)

Thank you also to Husse - I've no doubt our paths will cross again and thanks both for the fast responses!

I have to say, the installation has gone flawlessly other than the sound. Even the inbuilt webcam works. Bravo Mint!

Return to “Hardware Support”