Freezing when copying photos from camera

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
weezy

Freezing when copying photos from camera

Post by weezy »

Hello, I just recently upgraded to Mint 14 Cinnamon 64 bit after using Mint 13 Mate 64 bit for about a year.

I LOVE cinnamon, it is truly a thing of beauty. But when I try to get photos off my camera (Canon 7D) it transfers anywhere from 20 to 100 photos and then freezes, sometimes requiring a reboot. Most of the time it doesn't crash my session but just stops copying but when I turn off the camera I get an error notification saying the connections been broken. So this tells me that the camera is still being recognized but for some reason it just stops copying files. This only happens with my camera, I copied a bunch of photos from my WD external drive just fine. I also tried using gtkam for importing the photos but it's not able to initialize the camera. Tried using gthumb, too but it freezes as well.

The camera mounts just fine and remains mounted after it freezes. I thought it might be a codec or driver issue but I don't see how that can be when the camera mounts just fine and is recognized correctly. I never had this issue while running any other version of Mint (since 11).

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: Freezing when copying photos from camera

Post by Orbmiser »

Did you try with taking the card out and using a card reader?

Might go that route until all the major bugs are worked out in this new distro.

The preferred method for all the photographers I know is to remove the card and insert into a card reader. As hooking up camera is more cumbersome. Extra cable on desktop space for most is at a premium.

Also hooking up camera is a drain on cameras battery and strain on the connection. Plus horror stories of camera getting knocked or pulled off computer from pets,kids or our own natural clumsiness when not paying attention.

Just a thought. And hope someone else can pop in and point out a solution.
weezy

Post by weezy »

Thanks, Orbmiser. I don't have a card reader but you pretty much convinced me to get one. Looks like Kingston makes a nice one for $15 that accepts all different types of cards. as I have SD and CF cards for my devices.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

That would have been my suggestion, I always use a card reader now it's simpler than going through an auto import of load of pics you may not need to copy over. Would have thought there must be a workaround though to stop it just pulling them off, it may that this process is hogging so much it's stopping everything else. Can't you just turn the camera on and have it recognise the memory card only ?

Return to “Hardware Support”