Asus laptop - keyboard backlight - failes to start

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fswolf

Asus laptop - keyboard backlight - failes to start

Post by fswolf »

hello

I installed linux mint 14 on this Asus gamming lap top after they releaced ubuntu 12..

i like the mate desk top its rather nice but i have a problem .. my keyboard has back lights..

they are not working..

i dont know why.. id realy like to fix it thought any one have any advice ??

the functon keys work for the screen brightness and sound but i got no action on my keyboard light...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mysegfault

Re: Asus laptop - keyboard backlight - failes to start

Post by mysegfault »

Same with my Samsung 9 Series. Was working with Mint 13... Any help ?
SUPER_HELPFUL

Post by SUPER_HELPFUL »

Would also like to here if there is a fix for this. Can't find any option for keyboard backlighting in my preferences!
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

First check to see if the kernel has control of the backlight by running this command for a Samsung laptop in the Terminal:
sudo echo 7 > /sys/devices/platform/samsung/leds/samsung\:\:kbd_backlight/brightness
if that doesn't work try:
echo 7 | sudo tee /sys/devices/platform/samsung/leds/samsung\:\:kbd_backlight/brightness

For Asus laptops the command is:
sudo echo 3 > /sys/class/leds/asus\:\:kbd_backlight/brightness
if that doesn't work try:
echo 3 | sudo tee /sys/class/leds/asus\:\:kbd_backlight/brightness

If the backlight now has full illumination then try adding a command to the grub boot file. Open the Terminal and type:
gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Change the line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
to one of the lines below. Then run this command in the Terminal: sudo update-grub.
Reboot and test your keyboard backlight.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux”
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi='!Windows 2012'"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quite splash acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash acpi=noirq acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor”

Sometimes making changes to the grub file can cause startup problems. If this happens then restart and select the correct operating system at the Grub Boot Menu and then press e. Go down to the line that starts with:
linux /boot/vmlinuz.......................ro quiet splash $vt_handoff

Remove the command you added between the words “splash” and “$vt_handoff”
Press Ctrl+x or F10. This change is just temporary and allows you to start your system. Then remove the command in the /etc/default/grub file, and in the Terminal run: sudo update-grub
If you have only one operating system installed, then a Grub Boot Menu may not be displayed. Hold down the Shift key while restarting, or if this doesn't work, keep tapping the Shift key.

If you still can't control the backlight then run these command for a Samsung laptop and post the results:

cat /sys/devices/platform/samsung/leds/samsung\:\:kbd_backlight/max_brightness
cat /sys/class/dmi/id/sys_vendor
cat /sys/class/dmi/id/product_name

For Asus laptops the command is:
cat /sys/class/leds/asus\:\:kbd_backlight/max_brightness

Then press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to enter the virtual console tty1. Type: /lib/udev/findkeyboards
Get the input/event number.

Then type: sudo /lib/udev/keymap -i input/eventX
where X is the number you found in the previous step.

Press the function key combinations that increase and decrease the backlight. I believe they are FN+F9 and FN+F10 for a Samsung laptop. This displays the scan codes that are generated by this action. Press the Escape key. You can't use the print screen function here, so use the command: sudo screendump 1 > screenoutput.txt

Press Ctrl+Alt+F8 to exit the tty1 console. If this fails then try Ctrl+Alt+F7.
The file "screenoutput.txt" will be found in your Home directory (/home/username). Post the result.
nestorturailla

Post by nestorturailla »

I have an Asus G53S with Linux Mint Debian Edition, with 3.11-1-amd64 kernel (I'm currently pointing to unstable repos). To me, this command:

Code: Select all

echo 3 | sudo tee /sys/class/leds/asus\:\:kbd_backlight/brightness
worked perfectly. As I have seen, echoing 0 to this file turns the lights off. You can also query the maximum brightness level by executing:

Code: Select all

cat /sys/class/leds/asus\:\:kbd_backlight/max_brightness
So thumbs up for your solution! :D

Return to “Hardware Support”