[SOLVED] USB problem!

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tau.qwerty

[SOLVED] USB problem!

Post by tau.qwerty »

I need your help my fellow Linux Mint users! I recently used USB Image Writer to make a bootable USB stick for Linux Mint 14. Everything went fine, until I needed my 4.0Gb USB stick for some other task. I insert it into the port and nothing happened. I went to "Computer" pressed the icon for it and a window popped up saying "Unable to mount location. Can't mount file". I cannot mount it on Windows either because it needs to be "configurated" or "formatted" ("διαμόρφωση" in greek). Appart from that there are only 800Mb to be "formatted" and at the end Windows fails to "format" it. What should I do! If you could help me, I would be grateful! I am a new user and in a hurry so I apologize beforehand for any mistake I have made! :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: USB problem!

Post by viking777 »

I think you have omitted some vital information here. Have you actually installed MInt from the USB stick or are you running it from the USB stick all the time? If you are running from the USB stick then you are not going to be able to use it for anything else. If you have installed Mint to your hard drive you should be able to format the USB stick with gparted.

Run gparted, change the drive to the USB stick (drop down box, top right of gui), right click the partition/s on the stick and select 'Format to' then choose what filesystem you want, click apply a couple of times and the job is done.
tau.qwerty

Re: USB problem!

Post by tau.qwerty »

Thank you very much viking! Yes, I have managed to install Linux Mint 14 successfully and I have solved the problem according to your steps! I AM GRATEFUL! :D :D :D :D
aligobine

Re: [SOLVED] USB problem!

Post by aligobine »

I have also the some problem. When I made the bootable USB, there was some datas inside, so i don't want to format it. Any suggestions?
viking777

Re: [SOLVED] USB problem!

Post by viking777 »

aligobine wrote:I have also the some problem. When I made the bootable USB, there was some datas inside, so i don't want to format it. Any suggestions?
Yes, start your own thread, this one is solved.

Return to “Hardware Support”