How does Linux deal with Hardware swaps?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

How does Linux deal with Hardware swaps?

Postby Orbmiser on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:12 pm

Just checking ahead of time. As have a Wired Usb keyboard & mouse that am thinking of replacing.
And may be a wireless versions of those.

So wondering if Linux polls devices on boot and inserts required drivers? Or something I have to to do?

And preparing myself ahead of time what may be trouble-free? or a hassle?
Thanks.
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How does Linux deal with Hardware swaps?

Postby wayne128 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:08 pm

Orbmiser wrote:Just checking ahead of time. As have a Wired Usb keyboard & mouse that am thinking of replacing.
And may be a wireless versions of those.

So wondering if Linux polls devices on boot and inserts required drivers? Or something I have to to do?

And preparing myself ahead of time what may be trouble-free? or a hassle?
Thanks.

Orbmiser,
I do not know how Linux works :evil:

But my expectation on usb mouse and usb keyboard, at least wired versions,
is Plug and Play.
There should be NO need to do anything!!

All my wired keyboards, mouse ( some 10 sets) from various purchases ( Dell, Acer, NEC, Asus, Samsung, Microsoft, Logitech, some other unbranded versions) are all plug and play for 'most linux os'. I cannot tell you ALL because.. :evil: :evil: one in a while some linux os just oops :mrgreen:

As for wireless keyboard and mouse, they have bluetooth transmitter and little receiver for you to plug into usb slot, as such you expect a little bit of issue if your linux os had bluetooth issue ( google you can tell).
I would avoid wireless kb/mouse...unless you want to watch monitor in a distance like watching TV.
as I get older, I knew one thing: prolong using wireless mouse hurt the wrist/joint....
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Hardware Support