Wireless Card on Inspiron 1545

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
janiemiec20

Wireless Card on Inspiron 1545

Post by janiemiec20 »

Hi,
I wanted to try out Linux Mint on my Laptop. I have booted it up on a live USB and managed to get to the main system. My first problem was the driver for the wireless card - no notification was given of the peripheral drivers required so after some digging around I have found the Software Sources and finally the driver required.
However whenever I boot up again on the USB, all the settings are stored because updates, themes, settings and the driver is there but there is not sign of Wifi option to turn on, both in the start panel as well as the Network section.
This is confusing because the Driver is there! And it says that it is enabled moreover I cannot disable it as the option simply reverts back to the ENABLED section - as if no settings were saved.

Is it a matter of it being a live USB and if I do a full install, would the WiFi card always work?
How can I fix that?
Why does this happen?

P.S.
I am no expert so please make it simple :)

Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thegreatgazoo

Re: Wireless Card on Inspiron 1545

Post by thegreatgazoo »

I have the same 1545. I never tried installing the wifi drivers on a persistent usb, but on a real installation, you use the "additional drivers" program to enable the wifi and reboot to have it take effect. works great after that. I know this does not answer your question, but I hope it helps.
janiemiec20

Re: Wireless Card on Inspiron 1545

Post by janiemiec20 »

Yes it does. I just wanted to be sure. Thank you

Return to “Hardware Support”