Renaming drives

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Renaming drives

Postby rlowe1980 on Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm

I have two external hd's and i would like to know how to re-label them? when they mount, they're labled as "media" or "disk". is there a way to configure this? maybe a file somewhere that i can edit?
rlowe1980
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Renaming drives

Postby Fred on Mon May 12, 2008 2:50 am

rlowe1980,

First, Linux doesn't recognize drives. It recognizes partitions, but I know what you mean.... I think.

You are saying that you have a single partition on some drive; sda1, sdb1, or whatever it might be.

Do you wish to change the name so that it says /media/Windows, as an example? or do you want there to be a folder in your home that is called "Windows" or whatever?

Help me understand exactly where you want it and what you want to call it.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Renaming drives

Postby rlowe1980 on Mon May 12, 2008 8:56 am

yep, i have one partition on an external hd and i'd like to change the name of it to say "\media\whatever".. i dont need it to be in my \home" folder because i have a shortcut on my desktop for it..
rlowe1980
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support