Mint as Virtualbox Guest

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Mint as Virtualbox Guest

Postby eeezzzeee on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:17 pm

I am not sure if this is the best place to post my problem, but it is where previous questions about this topic have been posted. If it isn't could a Mod please move it to the right area?

I have used Virtualbox in the past with no problems to run Linux guests on Windows hosts. It worked great on my 5 year old laptop, but I recently dropped that one, and had to get a new laptop that has come with windows 8. It is a Samsung 3 series with an A6 processor.

Yesterday I attempted to set up a virtualbox setup of Mint 14. It ran so slow it was barely usable. I attempted to try fixes I found online, but nothing helped. Thinking it may be something with the latest version of Mint, I also tried Mint 13 Main, Mint 13 Mate, Mint 14 xfce, the latest release of Crunchbang, Fedora 18, and Ubuntu 12.10. If I remember right all of them have been the 32-bit versions. All of them had the same problem, all were incredibly slow. The only Linux guest that I was able to get to work with any type of speed was Slitaz.

I have given the guests 2 gig's of ram, increased the video memory to 64 megs, given it 3 of the 4 processors, and I have enabled 3d acceleration. Can anyone give me any ideas on what I could try, or where to look to get Mint running well in VB? I searched the virtualbox forums, but I didn't find anything that helped.
Thanks
"If it's stupid and it works.... it's not stupid"
eeezzzeee
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint as Virtualbox Guest

Postby SiKing on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:20 pm

I would start with disabling 3D. See if that improves anything.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Postby zelmani on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:34 pm

Sorry, that I don't have a solution for you, but at least I can confirm that I made the same experience on three different windows hosts (all Win7). I played around with the settings in VirtualBox a lot, but nothing really helped. So, you're not alone.
zelmani
Level 1
Level 1

Postby SiKing on Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:16 pm

I am running LM13-LXDE in a 1GB/1processor VM perfectly fine. Although OP mentioned LM13-XFCE which I would expect to have similar resource requirements. odd...
In a VM situation I often find that the bottleneck is the disk I/O. How much stuff is the host (your Windows) running at the same time? Windows sure likes the disk!
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Postby eeezzzeee on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:58 pm

Thanks for the replies. I ended up trying LMDE and it works great. Not sure what I did differently, or if it's something different with the Debian base, but it works exactly how I wanted it to. So if you are having problems, give the Mint Debian a shot.
"If it's stupid and it works.... it's not stupid"
eeezzzeee
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Hardware Support