Mint as Virtualbox Guest

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eeezzzeee

Mint as Virtualbox Guest

Post by eeezzzeee »

I am not sure if this is the best place to post my problem, but it is where previous questions about this topic have been posted. If it isn't could a Mod please move it to the right area?

I have used Virtualbox in the past with no problems to run Linux guests on Windows hosts. It worked great on my 5 year old laptop, but I recently dropped that one, and had to get a new laptop that has come with windows 8. It is a Samsung 3 series with an A6 processor.

Yesterday I attempted to set up a virtualbox setup of Mint 14. It ran so slow it was barely usable. I attempted to try fixes I found online, but nothing helped. Thinking it may be something with the latest version of Mint, I also tried Mint 13 Main, Mint 13 Mate, Mint 14 xfce, the latest release of Crunchbang, Fedora 18, and Ubuntu 12.10. If I remember right all of them have been the 32-bit versions. All of them had the same problem, all were incredibly slow. The only Linux guest that I was able to get to work with any type of speed was Slitaz.

I have given the guests 2 gig's of ram, increased the video memory to 64 megs, given it 3 of the 4 processors, and I have enabled 3d acceleration. Can anyone give me any ideas on what I could try, or where to look to get Mint running well in VB? I searched the virtualbox forums, but I didn't find anything that helped.
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint as Virtualbox Guest

Post by SiKing »

I would start with disabling 3D. See if that improves anything.
zelmani

Post by zelmani »

Sorry, that I don't have a solution for you, but at least I can confirm that I made the same experience on three different windows hosts (all Win7). I played around with the settings in VirtualBox a lot, but nothing really helped. So, you're not alone.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SiKing »

I am running LM13-LXDE in a 1GB/1processor VM perfectly fine. Although OP mentioned LM13-XFCE which I would expect to have similar resource requirements. odd...
In a VM situation I often find that the bottleneck is the disk I/O. How much stuff is the host (your Windows) running at the same time? Windows sure likes the disk!
eeezzzeee

Post by eeezzzeee »

Thanks for the replies. I ended up trying LMDE and it works great. Not sure what I did differently, or if it's something different with the Debian base, but it works exactly how I wanted it to. So if you are having problems, give the Mint Debian a shot.

Return to “Hardware Support”