I just did a fresh install of mint 14 to try out the steam linux beta. I have a nvidia GTX 460 graphics card and I'm using the propriatory drivers. For some reason my screen turns black at random (showing no signal). This seems to be happening especially when I put some load on the graphics card (launching a 3D game etc.). Sometimes the screen comes right back after a few seconds, sometimes I have to reboot the system to get it back and sometimes the card crashes that hard, that I have to turn off the PC and remove the power cable for a few seconds in order to get it back. The software running, when this happens, seems not to be effected though, I still get sound from games and also can log into the pc via ssh.
I don't think it's an hardware issue because the problem never occured in windows.
Here is what I have tried so far:
- I downloaded the most recent nvidia driver (313) from their homepage and installed it manually. No change. (I was using the nvidia-experimental-310 package befor I did that)
- I monitored the gpu termperature - its fine.
- I removed compiz from my system (found a forum post somewhere that claimed that this would fix it). Since then the problem seems to no longer occour when I'm on the desktop, however it still occours in 3D applications.
- I added 'Option "UseEvents" "false"' to my xorg.conf device section (an other forum post somewhere...) No change.
- I killed mdm and ran x with "startx -- -verbose 5 -logverbose 5" and kept watching Xorg.0.log via a ssh session to see if I get any messages when it happens - nothing at all.
I'm running out of ideas here, has anyone a clue what could cause this problem ? Or maybe an idea how to get more output to work on ? Is there any option I can pass the nvidia module to make it tell me whats going on ?