Fan running every 10th second

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hirudoid

Fan running every 10th second

Post by hirudoid »

Hello,
Is there a solution to silence the fan on my laptop?
it does not run all the time. It keeps a pause for 15 seconds and then it runs for 15 seconds again. It goes on and on.
Otherwise I love Linux Mint, but this is ruining my computing and driving me back into windows.
I have tried different distributions and the same problem with all of them, except with Pinguy 12.04.
I am bevildered.
I have Asus K50AB.

Hirudoid. :evil: :shock:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rachael

Re: Fan running every 10th second

Post by rachael »

Hello,

I don't know if this is your problem but I have just fixed a similar problem on my Samsung 700Z7C running Mint 14. I went to a terminal and using 'top' saw that a thread called kworker was taking 75-80% of the cpu and the fans were going crazy! So, a lot of googling later and I found the problem for me was a rogue interrupt relating to ACPI.

See this thread here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... mments=all

The solution for me was to disable the offending interrupt with the following run as root:

Code: Select all

echo disable > /sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe13
If this is your issue it's likely that its a different interrupt causing the problem as you are on different hardware so you'll need to do a little digging to work out which one. The thread linked above shows how to do this and also how to make this fix work automatically at startup and from resume.

Hope this helps,

Rachael

Return to “Hardware Support”