Help with ATI 4250 graphics card

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shawnw

Help with ATI 4250 graphics card

Post by shawnw »

first I am new to linux so I need to be given instruction like I am a 5 year old. that said here is problem.
I have installed linux mint 14 cinnanim. I then needed to update my ati driver so I found the following intructions on line.
sudo apt-get-repostiory ppa:makson96/fglrx
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install fglrx-legacy

after installion and rebooting everything appeared fine. it thought my panasonic 42" tv was a panasonic 32" tv. but i thought close enough.
but when playing videos (hd or other wise) they seamed to be choppy like low frame rate. And horixontal lines appeard in the videos. So I turned on all the hardware acceleration I could in the ati control console.
It did not help much. so I unstalled those drivers with the following commands
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:makson96/fglrx

I then rebooted and installed the ati 12.6 driver with the following commands
sh amd-driver-installer-12.6-legacy-x86.x64-64.run and rebooted.
the ati command console would not work and said the driver may not be working. also it now thought my tv was a laptop display. And it get worse....when i play a video (hd or other wise) the screen goes black and the tv acts like it is not getting any signal anymore. Aslo the sound from the video continues to play. I have to manulally turn off the power and reboot to get the computer back.

confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PS it only craps out on videos it works pretty good on everything else.
How do I untall these drivers and get some that will work?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Help with ATI 4250 graphics card

Post by jungle_boy »

Proceed a fresh install formating partitions; it is quick and easy.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
shawnw

Post by shawnw »

I've tried that and the default drivers from the intall dont work properly either. So after that HOW do I install the correct drivers and also WHICH drivers do I install?

Oh I also tried the 13.1 driver the totally F.U.B.A.R.ed the system. I later found out your not supposed to use those.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Hmmm when I installed Cinnamon 14 default open drivers worked on my Ati 4350 supporting dual display just fine.
Did you try the LiveCD and worked fine?
shawnw

Post by shawnw »

actually it was live usb. and no they did not work properly. the screen display was bigger than my tv. the borders like the menu buttons were off the screen. plus it did not reconizes that I was plugged into a tv. it thought it was a laptop display. I could not find a way to adjust the display or the adapter. that is why I tried proprietory drivers.

If there is a way to adjust those settings and not use ati's drivers I would go that route.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

If you could get to the Cinnamon Settings for Displays then could set resolution there.
If not someone might chime in how to do from a terminal or alternate method.
Sorry not very knowledgeable yet about some of the finer ways.
shawnw

Post by shawnw »

i booted up in live usb mode.
there is nothing in the cinnimon settings that I can change the screen dimentions.
under "system tools"- "system settings" I can change the screen resolution but still the borders are out side of the picture.
under "system tools"- "system settings" - "details" the graphics menu says "driver Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS880 " "Experiance standard" but i cannot change anything.

under "adminitration" "system Informations" it does correctly reconize my graphics adapter as "ati rs880 radeon hd 4250"

when I boot from the harddrive
under "system tools"- "system settings" "details" my graphics menu says driver "VESA RS880" and Experiance "fallback"
under "adminitration" "system Informations" it does correctly reconize my graphics adapter as "ati rs880 radeon hd 4250"
so I guess my drivers are screwed up.

any advise on how to correct this?
shawnw

Post by shawnw »

For those of you who care I have figured out the solution. There was no problem with linx mint. The stock drivers work fine. All I had to do was changes some obscure settings in my tv. I feel so stupid. So may be this will help other people if they have similar problems.
anyway I loaded a fresh copy onto my computer and everything is working well. My vista installation is now secondary on the boot and linux mint is primary. Yeeeeeeehaaaaaa!!!!
Now I am going to do the same thing to my winows 7 system.

Return to “Hardware Support”