What do these errors mean?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

What do these errors mean?

Postby Drink_More_Seltzer on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:50 pm

Hi All-

I'm new to linux, but have some experience with scientific computer on unix based systems. I've recently put LM14 w/ MATE on a thinkpad x230.

It's been mostly enjoyable, but I get a few errors here and there. Most of them seem common, or sub-common, and I've been able to make some progress by searching the forums. But I have a few that show up on shutdown that I don't even know where to start with, and I hope the forums could help.

Posted below is a image of the screen (i've been unable to find the logfile for these) of what appears when I shutdown while running on battery power. This screen is from if I simply halt the computer from terminal, but the same errors appear on full shutdown (just not long enough to take a picture of them).

http://i.imgur.com/HISDo0K.jpg

I was having some problems shutting down, which ended up being related to laptop-mode-tools, which is the reason I initially captured that image. But, even when I remove laptop-mode-tools, and then later, after reinstalling it and configuring it in a way that solved my shutdown problem, the same errors are persistant.

When shutting down with AC power plugged in, I receive some, but not all of the errors posted above. If we number the errors 1-8 from top to bottom, I recieve only 1,2,6, & 8 when shutting down with AC power plugged in.

I recognize enough to know that, these errors are related to the ethernet, wifi, and sound card. Of those devices I have only encountered problems with my sound card, which seems to be software based, and occurs after waking from suspend. This particular problem seems to be fairly common, and I've found some leads on that by forum searching. Anyways, not being able to use my internal speakers after resuming is a pretty low priority problem.

So, to summarize. I would like to know/fix the cause of these errors, or, failing that, know that they are not indicitive of more serious problems. Thanks for any help you can provide!

*edit: I should add that I am running 64-bit, installed off the live DVD downloaded from linuxmint's webpage.
Last edited by Drink_More_Seltzer on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drink_More_Seltzer
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: What do these errors mean?

Postby igor83 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:17 pm

The clues you provide in your message suggest ubuntu's power-saving features may be at play here. There are ways to speed up the shutdown process by editing one or more config files. Other than that, I don't know. I haven't gotten these errors in LM 14 KDE on my Thinkpad R60, whether using wifi or wired.

Drink_More_Seltzer wrote:Hi All-

I'm new to linux, but have some experience with scientific computer on unix based systems. I've recently put LM14 w/ MATE on a thinkpad x230.

It's been mostly enjoyable, but I get a few errors here and there. Most of them seem common, or sub-common, and I've been able to make some progress by searching the forums. But I have a few that show up on shutdown that I don't even know where to start with, and I hope the forums could help.

Posted below is a image of the screen (i've been unable to find the logfile for these) of what appears when I shutdown while running on battery power. This screen is from if I simply halt the computer from terminal, but the same errors appear on full shutdown (just not long enough to take a picture of them).

http://i.imgur.com/HISDo0K.jpg

I was having some problems shutting down, which ended up being related to laptop-mode-tools, which is the reason I initially captured that image. But, even when I remove laptop-mode-tools, and then later, after reinstalling it and configuring it in a way that solved my shutdown problem, the same errors are persistant.

When shutting down with AC power plugged in, I receive some, but not all of the errors posted above. If we number the errors 1-8 from top to bottom, I recieve only 1,2,6, & 8 when shutting down with AC power plugged in.

I recognize enough to know that, these errors are related to the ethernet, wifi, and sound card. Of those devices I have only encountered problems with my sound card, which seems to be software based, and occurs after waking from suspend. This particular problem seems to be fairly common, and I've found some leads on that by forum searching. Anyways, not being able to use my internal speakers after resuming is a pretty low priority problem.

So, to summarize. I would like to know/fix the cause of these errors, or, failing that, know that they are not indicitive of more serious problems. Thanks for any help you can provide!
My desktop runs 64-bit Kubuntu 13.04, my htpc runs 64-bit Linux Mint Nadia Xfce, my answering machine runs 64-bit windows 7, and my laptop runs 64-bit Linux Mint Nadia KDE. Each seems suited to its purpose.
igor83
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Drink_More_Seltzer on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:23 pm

Yes, I think that it seems pretty clear that power-saving is at play somewhat here, given the differences shown in AC vs battery shutdowns.

I guess my primary concern is whether or not these errors are indicitive of potential, present, or future damage to my computer. Obviously, no errors is always a goal, but if the errors are trivial, than I'm not going to spend tons and tons of time solving them, especially since I'm not seeing any problems with my wireless or ethernet, at least not currently.
Drink_More_Seltzer
Level 1
Level 1

Postby igor83 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:26 am

Drink_More_Seltzer wrote:Yes, I think that it seems pretty clear that power-saving is at play somewhat here, given the differences shown in AC vs battery shutdowns.

I guess my primary concern is whether or not these errors are indicitive of potential, present, or future damage to my computer. Obviously, no errors is always a goal, but if the errors are trivial, than I'm not going to spend tons and tons of time solving them, especially since I'm not seeing any problems with my wireless or ethernet, at least not currently.

Not necessarily a hardware problem. Could be a timing issue with ubuntu's shutdown procedure. Try this out. First make a backup of /etc/init/network-manager.conf, because you're going to try something goofy if you choose to follow my suggestion. Copy your original file to /etc/init/network-manager.bak or some such, so you can reinstall it if needed. Now I made a little modification to this file to speed up the shutdown on my LM 14 system, and you can too. Copy and paste this into the aforementioned file, replacing the original contents.

Code: Select all
# network-manager - network connection manager
#
# The Network Manager daemon manages the system's network connections,
# automatically switching between the best available.

description   "network connection manager"

start on (local-filesystems
     and started dbus
     and static-network-up)
stop on stopping dbus
kill timeout 1

expect fork
respawn

script
   # set $LANG so that messages appearing on the GUI will be translated. See LP: 875017
   if [ -r /etc/default/locale ]; then
      . /etc/default/locale
      export LANG LANGUAGE LC_MESSAGES LC_ALL
   fi

exec NetworkManager
end script

I forget where I got this idea but it wasn't my own. However it did result in the shutdown being a few seconds faster. And in your case the main issue seems to be slow shutdown and worrisome error messages that may be a trifle misleading in nature. So I would say this may be worth a try, although sure I'm shooting in the dark. It's what I've got on my Thinkpad R60, though, and I've got no problems. But I did not have the specific problem you mentioned, or if I did I wasn't aware of it.
My desktop runs 64-bit Kubuntu 13.04, my htpc runs 64-bit Linux Mint Nadia Xfce, my answering machine runs 64-bit windows 7, and my laptop runs 64-bit Linux Mint Nadia KDE. Each seems suited to its purpose.
igor83
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Drink_More_Seltzer on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:47 am

Great, I will give those a shot and post the results here if anything meaningful happens as a result. Thanks for the help!
Drink_More_Seltzer
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support