NVIDIA GeForce 610M and Optimus laptop

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JWolf

NVIDIA GeForce 610M and Optimus laptop

Post by JWolf »

Hello to everybody

I have an Asus with a NVIDIA GeForce 610M graphic card, working simultaneously with an Intel GPU (what they call "Optimus" or something similar). This system works properly under windows, but not under Linux. I've read a lot about this subject and I haven't found a solution yet. I'm trying to use the NVIDIA card on Linux Mint 14.

What I've done:

After installing and updating Linux Mint 14, Intel GPU is working and NVIDIA card is not detected, not even the proprietary drivers. Some programs I need don't work properly under Intel GPU and I need the NVIDIA card. I downloaded NVIDIA driver and installed it: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-disp ... river.html

After installing it, the resolution was set to the minimum and I couldn't change it. I ran the nvidia-xconfig to modify the xorg.conf and after that I restarted the X server, but the "Nvidia X server settings" still says that I'm not using the Nvidia graphic card, so I cannot change resolution and any other setting.

I've read about Bumblebee, but everything I read is previous to the release of the Nvidia driver I tried to install. I thought that this driver solved the problem of having two graphic cards, but probably I'm wrong.

Does anyone know how to fix the problem with this graphic card?

Thank you very much in advance.

JWolf.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: NVIDIA GeForce 610M and Optimus laptop

Post by zerozero »

a slightly different card but similar in the problems it poses, see this topic http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ee#p687707
JWolf

Re: NVIDIA GeForce 610M and Optimus laptop

Post by JWolf »

Thank you very much, zerozero.

I finally succeded in installing bumblebee and using Nvidia card just for the programs I want, but I'm not able to use the nvidia settings for resolution and other parameters...

I'm happy with that, but if I could use the nvidia settings it will be perfect.

Thanks again!

Return to “Hardware Support”