Mint 14, menu changes after I enable single display Desktop

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shade34321

Mint 14, menu changes after I enable single display Desktop

Post by shade34321 »

At the bottom is a link to a picture of what I'm talking about. Essentially I decided to try Linux Mint yesterday instead of Ubuntu, I've heard good things about cinnamon and nemo and therefore wanted to try it. After I installed it I went to set up my video card, it was working in Ubuntu so didn't think I'd have much problems with it. I open up the terminal to install the proprietary drivers and I get this problem. So I ask on the linuxmint-help and they point me to this tutorial. So I purge my installation and follow that, reinstalled via repos same result, purge again, build from source, same result. So now I'm at a loss of what else to do. I've asked for help in linuxmint-help and aside from the link nobody has answered so maybe somebody here will know, also have to leave and therefore can't monitor the irc channel waiting for a reply. A little bit about my system, it's an old AMD Athlon 3800+, with 2GB of RAM, and an Radeon HD 6450 installed(for multi monitor display). Here is the link of my desktop. The first picture is with the Drivers installed but the two monitors are cloned, I like the menu and what it does. The second picture is with the monitors extended so it's one big display, I don't like the menu and nothing appears to have changed but the displays are extended instead of cloned. Hopefully somebody can help. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mint 14, menu changes after I enable single display Desk

Post by catweazel »

It looks like the DE has fallen back to 2D Cinnamon. That would probably be because the AMD/ATI driver installation has been b0rked.

Try this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon fglrx*
Next, reboot then do this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install fglrx-amdcccle-updates
sudo aticonfig --initial
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
shade34321

Re: Mint 14, menu changes after I enable single display Desk

Post by shade34321 »

I did what you suggested and it didn't help. Essentially everything works fine, with drivers installed and everything, except when I try and make my monitors a giant desktop. I have two 1680x1050 monitors and by default they are cloned to each other, yet when I run the AMD Control Center to make it one giant desktop, 3360x1050 is when it messes up. I'm really not sure what the problem is aside from Cinnamon since it was working with Ubuntu 12.10. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Return to “Hardware Support”