Can't Run Mint On My HP Notebook...

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Can't Run Mint On My HP Notebook...

Postby Zephalie on Sun May 18, 2008 7:56 pm

Hi, everyone. I am hoping someone can give me an idea on how to fix this problem I'm having. I'm running Daryna on my PC with no problems. I want to install it on my laptop, but I am getting some issues. And don't worry, I know how to partition my drives and everything, so that's not the problem. Here are my HP laptop's specs:

Model: HP Pavillion DV2810
Processor Brand: AMD
Processor Class: Turion 64 X2 mobile technology
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Installed Memory: 3 GB
Maximum Memory: 4 GB
Memory Technology: DDR II SDRAM
Cache Size: 1 MB
Processor: Turion 64 X2 mobile technology
Storage Hard Drive Capacity: 250 GB
Included Drives: DVDRW (+R DL) / DVD-RAM
Display Size: 14.1 in
Display Type: TFT active matrix
Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce 7150M
Resolution: 1280 x 800 pixels
Battery Type: Lithium ion
Wireless Technology: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
Modem Speed: 56 Kbps
Software Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium :roll:
Interface Provided: Infrared, S-Video, VGA, Phone line, Ethernet

Now, when I run the LiveCD, I always get the message that my ipv6 is blacklisted. But everything else loads fine until I get the display telling me to configure my monitor. It doesn't seem to recognize my monitor, and always marks it as a PnP. I've tried setting it to different HP monitor choices, but nothing works.

I'm actually contemplating returning the computer if I can't get it to run Linux. Does anyone know what I can do?
Zephalie
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can't Run Mint On My HP Notebook...

Postby 67GTA on Sun May 18, 2008 9:15 pm

The 7150M graphics is not supported by the "nv" driver that is supposed to be used with the live CD. I have the same graphics card in my HP laptop. It is a bug that has came down from Debian. When the live CD boot screen comes up, just hit any key to stop the countdown. Then choose "Start Linux Mint in compatibility mode" which will force the generic "vesa" graphics driver. You will have like 800x600 resolution for installation, but once installed you can install the Nvidia driver. That will fix your resolution problem. If you have trouble seeing part of a screen, just hold the alt key and drag the window with the mouse.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Can't Run Mint On My HP Notebook...

Postby Zephalie on Sun May 18, 2008 10:44 pm

Oh, thanks for that. I automatically assumed that the problem would still arise in other modes. I'm just partitioning right now, and I'll see how the install goes.
Zephalie
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support