<SOLVED> Upgrading system BIOS

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wjni

<SOLVED> Upgrading system BIOS

Post by wjni »

Dooday All

It is a longtime since I needed some help, but now I do. Recently I built a new computer featuring a gigabyte GA-H77-D3H-MVP motherboard. It is a 1155 board with an Intel T3 CPU.
Was having some trouble with the performance of my scanner and decided to upgrade the BIOS. I have searched the Mint 'Search' but Mint does not like the word BIOS. What I found on
Google was somewhat confusing and I was not able to comprejhend it. The Gigabyte BIOS file is a 7Z exe file and as such of course does not work in Linux. I have solved the problem,
by getting a friend with a Windows OS to unpack the file and email me the files. I have since upgraded the BIOS. I do not use Windows (gave it away many, many years ago).

I am absolutely sure someone in the Linux Mint Community knows how to unpack the 7Zip.exe file and extract the BIOS file without using the Windows OS.
Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

Bill Nicholl
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Akiviri

Re: Upgrading system BIOS

Post by Akiviri »

Essentially you have 2 options -

Install 7zip

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install p7zip
- also available in the software center.
Or
Use wine

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
then

sudo apt-get install wine1.5
also available at http://www.winehq.org/

Using either one you can right click and select your preferred method, double clicking will also work I hear - not what I usually do tho. Both are very handy to have.
wjni

Re: <SOLVED> Upgrading system BIOS

Post by wjni »

Thank you Akiviri

Actually I did another search of Google after reading your answer and found exactly what I required, as you had stated.
Nothing could be any simpler. Thank uyou again.

Bill Nicholl

Return to “Hardware Support”