[Solved] Hard Drive Problems

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

[Solved] Hard Drive Problems

Postby invisosniper on Wed May 21, 2008 10:40 pm

[Solved]

Turned out to be bad addresses on my Balistix Memory. The system would function until it hit those addresses, then just Hang...That is why the problem usually only showed during long Hard Disk Transfers. The problem was showing itself again when par2repar was failing.

Thanks for the help
-Richard

[Problem]
Hey All,

I started using the Fluxbox CE of Linux mint about 2 months ago and was having problems every so often with the system just hanging.
I'm not too Linux savvy yet, so i figured some random thing happened and boom.

Well in the past week I have been preparing to Install The Linux Mint 5 Beta and Ubuntu when the problem was occuring much more often, this time i was able to trace it to a cause but not any log on what happened.

The System will Hang, but only during High Disk I/O, at first I thought oh,maybe a shared resource, but these are backup disks and so nothing was bing used except by rsync. Next I thought it might be my onboard SATA Controller except in the 6 months that I have had the computer I had never had the problem...Running XP, Vista, Ubuntu 7.10 and 8.04. Only when I was using Linux Mint. This even happened when trying to install Linux Mint 4 and Linux Mint 5 Beta...The System would hang like all activity on the HD was stopped.

I was hoping someone might be able to shed light on my situation or where i can start looking as I loved my time in Fluxbox CE Mint, and definitely would like to continue but the HD issue is certainly a problem...

Specs:
ASUS P5N-E SLI MoBo (Nforce 650i Chipset): Firmware 0801
Intel E6750 Processor
2GB Crucial Balistix
250 GB Seagate Barracuda
500 GB WD Caviar
1 TB WD Caviar

Any help would be appreciated. If you need any logs let me know which ones...If you need the log from just before the crash, I can reliably reproduce the crash by doing a Multi-Gig Transfer between 2 Drives using rsync(or any other situation that creates High I/O).

-Richard

* Edit: All Drives are known good, fschks with no problems I am currently doing a large data transfer using an 8.04 Live CD without problems.
Last edited by invisosniper on Wed May 28, 2008 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
invisosniper
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Hard Drive Problems

Postby Husse on Fri May 23, 2008 9:47 am

If my memory serves me right Seagate and Western Digital don't like each other, but if you only use SATA that would not be the problem
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby invisosniper on Sat May 24, 2008 3:26 pm

Thanks for the reply... Yup all SATA. thoguh most of my large transfers happend between the two Destern Digitals. I'll keep trying to find info in my logs.

-Richard
invisosniper
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sat May 24, 2008 6:36 pm

Large file transfers can be a problem even if they should not
This is where I'd like to have hands on...
This is something where you want to get the feel...
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Hardware Support