Usb Dac?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Usb Dac?

Postby nostrata on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:27 pm

I'm new to linux and have been really enjoying it so far. But I've been considering getting a usb Dac specifically the schiit modi to improve the quality of sound. It is supposed to not require special drivers but I have read that it doesn't work with Linux. Does anyone have any experience with this one in particular, or maybe others that are known to be compatible?
Thanks in advance
nostrata
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Usb Dac?

Postby Picani on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:16 am

Hi !

I don't know the Schiit Modi (but looks nice) but I can recommend you the Musical Fidelity VDAC II with as a lot of details and a good response with instruments like violin, viola, cello or piano for example because they don't sound metallic. But it give me the impression the recording was in a big cold room (if you already were at a concert during winter with all windows opened you'll understand me ^^).

I own a Audinst HUD-mx2 which also can be use for headphone amp but I've an issue with it. However, when it will be fix, I'll hardly recommend it. Or the other products from this brand, they all have good reviews on Head-fi.

Hoping I helped you :)
Picani
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nostrata on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:02 pm

Thanks for responding. The vdac is a bit more than I wanted to spend especially since it does not have an amp. But at least it let's me know they can work.
nostrata
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Picani on Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:41 pm

Usually, when no driver is needed for Windows, it'll work out of the box for Linux.

The vdac is a bit more than I wanted to spend especially since it does not have an amp.

The schiit modi doesn't have an amp. On the picture from the schiit's website, it's shown with the $99 magni. You'll have a $200 DAC + amp. Maybe you can check for others combo (or separated) stuffs in this price range.

From my search before I bought my HUD-mx2 you have :
- Matrix Cube
- Yulong u100
- Audinst HUD-mx1
- Audinst HUD-mx2 (I recommended it :D )
- Audinst mini
-O2+ODAC combo

You should check their and even ask on Head-fi.org for some advices from more qualified people.
Picani
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support