Bad screen resolution and very slow internet

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
whitey_7

Bad screen resolution and very slow internet

Post by whitey_7 »

Hello Everyone.

This is my first post on the forum, and im completely new to linux mint.

I have previously used linux ubuntu, which i have on the laptop i am using now, but i also had it on my pc tower, both of these worked fine. The problem started when i had to upgrade the version of ubuntu on my PC tower, when i ran the new version the internet run slow to almost a complete stop. So i chose to give linux mint a go hoping that it would have this problem.

I downloaded the linux mint version 14, 32 bit, just the normal version i think!. But i after i installed it i ran it on the tower pc, and tested it on the internet to find that it is running very slowly and sometimes goes to a complete stop. The other problem that was immediately apparent is that the screen resolution does not look clear, the text appears to have a kind of white halo around it, the whole thing looks awful.

At the moment i am using linux ubuntu on my laptop, and the internet speed is fine, so i know that theres nothing wrong with my router etc.

If i need to provide any other details im happy to do so, but i may need help in finding out how to provide those details.

I hope this is just a few tweaks, any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: Bad screen resolution and very slow internet

Post by bigj231 »

you will need to use inxi to give us info on your system. The command you want to use first is:

Code: Select all

inxi -h
That will tell you how the inxi command works.
Next, the hardware issues you have in Ubuntu will most likely also be present in the main edition of Mint, since it's based on Ubuntu.

Could you give us the output of:

Code: Select all

inxi -nG
whitey_7

Post by whitey_7 »

Hi, Thanks for your help

I ran that command in the terminal and got this back;

simon@simon-GeForce7050M-M ~ $ inxi -nG
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV710 [Radeon HD 4550]
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev) FAILED: vesa Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV710 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.0
Network: Card-1: NVIDIA MCP67 Ethernet driver: forcedeth
IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:21:97:97:9b:55
Card-2: Atheros AR5212/AR5213 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath5k
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:1b:2f:2c:a6:cc

I can see its got failed next to the bit about graphics, does any of that indicate why the internet is so slow on it. I mean, the internet is so slow its unusable and it runs fine on my other pc.
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

Which internet connection is slow? The WiFi should be fine. I don't have experience with nVidia networking cards, so I don't know what to tell you there. Maybe you could try ndiswrapper. EDIT: If the wifi is slow, I recall using that card in the past. I had to use madwifi, otherwise it wouldn't even detect networks. This has been a few years ago though. (I think I was running Mint 7 or 8)

I seem to recall there being an issue with the Radeon 4XXX series and earlier cards on Ubuntu 12.10 and LM14. You will need to downgrade your X-server version, or install LM13. I recommend that latter since Mint 13 is a LTS and will be supported for 5 years. I believe it works fine on the older Radeon cards.
If you want to keep Mint 14, search for tutorials on downgrading your x-server version on Google, or search here for previous posters with the same issue.

Return to “Hardware Support”