slow copying from external NTFS

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ephemeral2

slow copying from external NTFS

Post by ephemeral2 »

Hi

Im getting slow copying from a PATA hard rive which is in a USB enclosure. The hard drive just has one big NTFS partition on.

Copy rates are about 1.5 hours for 700MB... Something is clearly wrong.

Any ideas?

thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: slow copying from external NTFS

Post by Husse »

Which USB?
USB 1 only has something like 12 Mbit/s (about 1.5 MB/s) which would give some seven hours....
Hopefully you have USB 2
It could be something with cables and/or the parallel to serial conversion needed....
I think I've seen a solution to at least a similar problem in the forum but I don't find it now
ephemeral2

Post by ephemeral2 »

Hi,

Yeah its USB 2... 200GB PATA disk (so not that old) ... caddie has power source

Modern motherboard chipset Intel P35

Copying from the NTFS to EXT3 (Mint)....
DSpider

Post by DSpider »

Same here.

Samsung 500 GB HDD, USB 2.0.

WHAT IS UP WITH THIS ?? THIS IS ANNOYING !

I need to transfer some **** and it's taking AGES. The same happened on Debian Etch ! Is it a glitch in the ntfs-3g driver or what ? WHat the fffff........ This never happened in Windows !

Is there nothing I can do about it ? Is there a way to convert it to ext3 WITHOUT formating it ? Please help...
DSpider

Post by DSpider »

No answer ? Windows is the way ? The only way ?? :cry:
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ DSpider
You have added yourself at the end of a fairly old topic and the only ones to notice this would be me and the person who started the topic
This is a good way not to get answers....
Today I copied some files to a USB thumbdrive to transfer them to my new desktop
On the old (well it's not that old it has an Athlon 3700+ cpu :)) speed was about 1.5 MB/s on the new one speed was about 10 MB/s
The only difference I can think of is that the cable from the mobo to the front of the case was substandard in the first case...
Try to use the connection at the back if it is a desktop and also check settings in BIOS
EchoLynx

Similar issue: USB NTFS > SATA NTFS

Post by EchoLynx »

Unfortunately, I am having a similar problem with my USB 2.0 drive. Unlike what everyone else is experiencing, I am getting very good rates (13.5MB/s, Elyssa) but they are slowly dropping.

For example, I am currently copying over a drive image from NTFS formatted external USB 250G "SimpleDrive" to my 1TB WD Black in my computer.. It is ~111GB. At the start of the transfer, the rate was 13.5MB/s and the ETA was 2-3 hours. Slowly, though, the transfer speed has dropped. I started this transfer 9-10 hours ago and it's still saying there is 8 hours remaining, at a speed of (1.7MB/sec).

A while ago, I also posted an issue I seem to have with transfer rates in Synaptic (I can't find it at the moment). Basically, the transfer speed would throttle itself down from 300-350kb/s to 17-50kb/s, and bounce back up every once in a while. I have DSL, and don't have this problem with ANYTHING else.

Could the two be connected? Is there some sort of resource manager that is designed to adjust to allow more system resources to be available?

-Ian
Last edited by EchoLynx on Tue May 05, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EchoLynx

NTFS Compression?

Post by EchoLynx »

After getting fed up with 20+ hours of total transfer time, and only 7 hours more at 1.1MB/s- I flipped to XP. Then I noticed something- I had set my internal 1TB drive to compress files. When looking at the System Monitor in Mint, only 1 of my 4 cores was being used. In XP, all of them are being used, but not to 100%. Could it be that ntfs-3g didn't have a high enough priority to use all four and fell behind in compressing the data as it was written? I had tried lowering the Nice level in the System Monitor, but the changes were just never reflected.

Return to “Hardware Support”