Laptop keyboard doesn't work

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kraaketaer

Laptop keyboard doesn't work

Post by kraaketaer »

I'm trying to install Mint 4.0 Daryna on my HP TX1128 laptop.

To get the Live CD to boot successfully I had to start in recovery mode, due to graphics driver problems. The system boots fine (although I have no network connection ++, but I was expecting that), but I have one major problem: the keyboard doesn't work. It worked fine outside Mint (as I had to use it to get into recovery mode), yet pressing any keys in Mint only causes the flashing cursor to freeze for a moment, then continue. I've tried both with the integrated keyboard and an USB keyboard (Logitech Elite), with the same result. What should I do?

edit: I can boot up Vista and give you whatever hardware specs you might want, if that's needed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Re: Laptop keyboard doesn't work

Post by rivenought »

First off, sorry to hear you are having a problem. These things do happen sometimes. Yes, it would be a good idea to share as many specifications of your hardware as you possibly can. That will be a good place to start.
kraaketaer

Post by kraaketaer »

System specs:

CPU: AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-52 (1.6GHz)
Chipset: Nvidia Geforce Go 6150 w/ nForce 430 southbridge
Mobo: Quanta 30BF, with the latest BIOS version from HP (F.1E)
RAM: 2x1GB Kingston DDR2-333
HDD: 120GB partitioned into Vista (C:) and HP Recovery (D:), with about 36GB unallocated space in between for creating a Linux partition
Keyboard: is only listed as "Standard PS/2 keyboard." I could list all sorts of obscure details from it's properties, but I have no idea what they mean or what to look for. It's a standard HP laptop keyboard with a Norwegian layout.
Mouse: Synapsis PS/2 Touch Pad
LAN: integrated chipset networking controller
WLAN: Broadcom 4321AG 802.11a/b/g/draft-n Wi-Fi adapter

Under "Human interface devices" there are listed three "HID-compliant consumer control device"s and nine "HID-compliant device"s, I have no idea what these are, but I'm guessing the media control/volume/quick launch buttons on the laptop. There is also a "USB Human Interface Device," which is the laptop's touchscreen (AFAIK a Wacom Active Digitizer).
kraaketaer

Post by kraaketaer »

*bump*

anyone?

Return to “Hardware Support”