HDD & video card

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

HDD & video card

Postby locutus on Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:20 pm

I'm thinking of buying two things, & I would like some feedback before I go out & buy them.

1--Seagate Barracuda SATAII 500GB 7200.11 w/32MB NCQ ST3500320AS. This has perpendicular recording, if that makes any difference to Linux. There is also a model, the part number starts the same but ends in "NS" instead of "AS " and googling around I can't find any explanation for the $30 price difference.

2--MSI 256Mb NX8500GT PCI-E DDR2 Hdtv/Dvi/Tv video card. My mobo is also MSI. This is a cheap card, price-wise. The mobo has built in 256Mb graphics but I'm assuming a dedicated card would be better, plus the built-in is 6100 series vs this one 8500 series.

Anybody ever used ether of these?
Thanks.

Mobo: MSI K9N6G-M
Ram: 2 Gb
HD: WD 160 Gb
On-board sound, lan,
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: HDD & video card

Postby CavalierBob on Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:24 am

1--Seagate Barracuda SATAII 500GB 7200.11 w/32MB NCQ ST3500320AS. This has perpendicular recording, if that makes any difference to Linux. There is also a model, the part number starts the same but ends in "NS" instead of "AS " and googling around I can't find any explanation for the $30 price difference.

The "AS" is the 7200.11 desktop version, the "NS" is the ES.2 server/enterprise storage version. See this link for info on the ES version, this link for info on the AS version.

Can't help with the second question, sorry.

Bob
All progress requires change, but not all change is progress.
--Henry Steele Commager

...there are some...who use change to promote their careers. And then there are those...who use their careers to promote change.
--Sarah Palin
CavalierBob
Level 3
Level 3

Postby locutus on Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:31 am

OK, I saw those pages but couldn't decipher the differences. Your "desktop" vs "server" classifies it very well. Thank you.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Cubby on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:25 pm

Hi,

I'm not sure of the former, but I have the MSI NX8500GT pci-e card that I purchased recently and it works great in Linux Mint KDE CE. I had no problems with it being recognized. I bought this card over other versions because it has a heat sink instead of a fan. I have an Antec P180 mid-tower case I also bought, and with the three large platter sized fans in it, I don't need a fan on the graphics card. Plus, fans just generate more heat in my opinion. Some would go with a 8600 card, but I wanted one without a fan and a card that was under 80 dollars. Don't know if it matters, but my power supply is a corsair 550 W.

Edited to add, the fans are more like saucers than platters :wink:
Athlon 64 FX-57, Asus A8N-E, nForce4 chipset, video card NX8500GT GeForce, sound card bGears b-Enspirer w/ audio contlr: CMI8788 [Oxygen], 4G RAM, Sata WD hd 160G + 320G. Boot XP Pro nLite and a few other Linux distros.
Cubby
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Hardware Support