Sound & Audo Hardware Issues - Acer Ferrari 4000

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Sound & Audo Hardware Issues - Acer Ferrari 4000

Postby bemental on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:01 pm

Hello dedicated forum readers!

I am having problems with the sound on my Acer Ferrari 4000 laptop computer. The problem began after I took apart the computer to clean the (notoriously) dirty internals.

I believe that I may have disturbed a wire or something when messing around inside my laptop because the sound worked flawlessly previously. To ensure that it is not a software issue I loaded up the PulseAudio Manager and note that the volume meter does in fact show that sound is being directed to the speakers, both right and left respectively.

I also went step by step to ensure that I have the correct audio drivers installed, using the Comprehensive Sound Audio Solutions Guide (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449).

I am using Linux Mint - Elyssa and have posted in the Ubuntu forums as well. I merely would like the opinion of the forum regarding possible fixes and workarounds (to include PCMCIA and USB audio solutions). Ideally I would love to have the speakers work again but since I created this monster with my incessant tinkering I have no one to blame but myself!

Thank you in advance for any help that is provided!
bemental
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Sound & Audo Hardware Issues - Acer Ferrari 4000

Postby Husse on Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:06 pm

If you dare you could open it again :)
Otherwise USB sound cards are cheap and work quite OK
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby bemental on Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:18 pm

Husse - I did open the case again for kicks to see if I could find any loose wires or connectors... I did much better this time and only ended up with 5 screws leftover instead of the usual 10-15!

USB sound cards are definitely what I was considering, PCMCIA as well. I wish I could just get the darn speakers working again. Unfortunately it effects the headphone port as well, otherwise I wouldn't be too disturbed.

Thank you for the help though!
bemental
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:24 pm

clean the (notoriously) dirty internals.

You could have destroyed some circuit with static electricity - it's not to play with and you need to be really careful
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby bemental on Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:36 pm

Darn it Husse, I knew this problem was too obscure to receive any help with. Software is one thing but te hardware is all together entirely different!

I suppose I should invest in some USB speakers... At least those ports still work.
bemental
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:09 pm

Yeah - this is a "hands on" type of problem and laptops are even worse than desktops....
But hands on I could probably at least pin point it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby bemental on Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:22 pm

Sweden, right. Did you want to have your buddy send me a money-order worth 3x as much as the laptop so I can forward you the rest of the cash later or are we going to kick this old-school and just pay by cash (had some bad experiences lately selling on craigslist)!

Thanks for your insight and help. I enjoy the tinkering but it looks like I'll just dump this thing.
bemental
Level 1
Level 1

Postby copycat on Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:39 pm

I'd open it again.
Speakers are usually connected by very thin twisted cables or a flat ribbon. Take out just the necessary and check that all your ribbons are safely attached and secured.
Do you hear any static or what is that you hear/don't hear exactly?

bemental wrote:Thanks for your insight and help. I enjoy the tinkering but it looks like I'll just dump this thing.

Hold it! if you're in Stockholm, I'll pick it up, don't throw it away!
copycat
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bemental on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:09 am

Hey copycat, I'm definitely not in Sweden but don't worry I'm not actually going to dump it. Sell it perhaps but not just toss it!

I did crack the baby open again and did not find any loose connections to speak of. No sound whatsoever to include no crackling or static.
bemental
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support