No sane backend found in Ubuntu Hardy and Elyssa

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

No sane backend found in Ubuntu Hardy and Elyssa

Postby tri on Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:00 am

I found Ubuntu Hardy and Mint Elyssa have a lot of common problems from sound to scanning, and seems like you guys need to work out a bit to make them more stable. So far I had to remove pulseaudio to get back my sound, identify problems in font hinting of terminal and firefox browser and still have trouble with sane backends that completely missed out my scanning device. The package controller shows that the libsane has already installed but Kooka and Xsane cannot recognise this device. Kooka stated that: "No scanner was found: your system does not provide a sane installation, which is required by the KDE scan support. Please install and configure SANE correctly on your system".

Anybody has advice on this bug?
tri
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: No sane backend found in Ubuntu Hardy and Elyssa

Postby Husse on Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:29 am

First off - please post support questions in the support section
Second - we have not released the Elyssa KDE version yet (but very soon I think)
Third - yes we have inherited some of the irritating bugs in Hardy Can't help thinking we should have our own kernel
Fourth - in Elyssa main scanning works just right - at least for me. What happens if you opt to install KDE I don't know....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: No sane backend found in Ubuntu Hardy and Elyssa

Postby tri on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:14 am

Do you think if I can install KDE version I can work this problem out completely? That's strange because I had no related trouble like this in Daryna, and yes, you may right that Mint should have its own kernel because we cannot afford to take so many problems from Ubuntu architectures. For this trouble I found that the sane driver package could not recognise folder sane.d during installation. Anyway I am using sane driver is particularly designed for Canon multifunctional printer multipass MP360, pretty old but work just fine in Daryna.
tri
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Hardware Support