Netgear N900 WNDA4100 Drivers

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Netgear N900 WNDA4100 Drivers

Postby RevelationIV on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:52 pm

I've recently installed Linux Mint 15, and it will not recognize a Netgear N900 WNDA4100 wireless USB adapter. I've tried installing the Linux drivers from a tar.bz2. sudo make gave a few errors. sudo make install went flawlessly. I restarted it and Linux still fails to recognize it within connection settings.
I'm using Linux Mint 15, MATE with a GNOME enviroment.

Thanks in advance for any help!
RevelationIV
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Netgear N900 WNDA4100 Drivers

Postby grumpus on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:43 am

This is the text instructions gleaned from a couple of Ubuntu posts.
I've been running the Netgear N900 for a good while now on Fedora18, Ubuntu 12.4.03 and Linux Mint 14 with no issues except for the re-install after updated kernels. Some of this you may have already performed but it's there for the record. There is also an update sequence for re-insatll after a kernel update which I dod not use as this simple method, once the files are established seems to hold very well.
You may need to edit a file to make sure it's installed properly, maybe the following will help.
You may have to turn networking on, make sure airplane mode is off and allow wireless in order for it to light up.

Re: WNDA 4100 (NetGear N900) Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter

You will need to download and compile rt3573sta and make a few changes. Can you get a wired ethernet connection even temporarily? If not, we can still compile, but it will be a bit difficult. If you can hook up an ethernet cable and get a connection, open a terminal and do:
Code:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential

Go here http://www.wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_WNDA4100 and download the package for rt3573sta. Get it to your desktop so we can find it. Right-click it and select Extract Here. Open the folder that appears called Linux and select the DPO version. Right-click it and select Extract Here. Now we will make some changes to it. Drill down to os/linux/config.mk. Open the file with a text editor and make these changes:
** Build for being controlled by NetworkManager or wpa_supplicant wext functions
Please set 'HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y' and 'HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y'.
In other words, change the =n to =y in those two lines. Proofread very carefully, save and close the text editor.

Open the file common/rtusb_dev_id.c with any text editor, such as gedit. Add a line as I've highlighted:
Code:

#endif /* RT35xx */
#ifdef RT3573
{USB_DEVICE(0x148F,0x3573)}, /* Ralink 3573 */
{USB_DEVICE(0x7392,0x7733)}, /* Edimax */
{USB_DEVICE(0x0846,0x9012)}, /* Netgear */
{USB_DEVICE(0x0B05,0x17AD)}, /*ASUS */
#endif /* RT3573 */
{ }/* Terminating entry */

All other lines before and after are unchanged. Punctuation, spelling, spacing, etc. are crucial so proofread very carefully, save and close the text editor.

Now we're ready to compile. Open a terminal and do:
Code:

cd Desktop/Linux/DPO

Press Tab and the remainder will fill in automagiaclly. Press Enter. Now do:
Code:

sudo su
make
make install
modprobe rt3573sta
exit

Caution here: Left this off before as it may wash the driver setup for earlier kernels in an optional boot list.
AFTER KERNEL IMAGE UPDATE - Re compile
Code:
cd Desktop/Linux/DPO

Press Tab and the remainder will fill in automagically. Press Enter. Now do:
Code:
sudo su
make clean
make
make install
modprobe rt3573sta
exit
Uhhh, maybe this will work?
grumpus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Netgear N900 WNDA4100 Drivers

Postby grumpus on Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:51 pm

There's an update to the driver for 64 bit systems using the N900.
Before I go any further with this note this worked in Linux Mint 16 64 bit and I keep a copy of the original unzipped files in a special folder to copy and paste to the Desktop after kernel updates as the Kernel update kills the driver. It would be nice if the driver could be included as it works well.
Also note A Shaffer gets the credit for this, and thank you.

What you do is take the zip file (panel on right - Download ZIP) rt3573sta for 64bit
Unzip it in a clean folder - copy the contents (note: contents only, files) of the folders into the corresponding folders of the existing unzipped 32 bit driver under /Linux/DPO_RT3573_LinuxSTA_V2.5.0.0 which you are using. Note: You should get the notices about over writing the existing files, allow the write over.
Copy the /Linux folder and contents to your Desktop.
Follow the instructions for a clean install after a kernel update (following)
Code:
cd Desktop/Linux/DPO
Press Tab and the remainder will fill in automagically. Press Enter.

Now do:
Code:
sudo su
make clean
make
make install
modprobe rt3573sta
exit

You may need to check wireless for the unit to turn on (right click on the icon for networks in the panel and check "enable wifi"
If there is a better way or if some of the original should be removed I don't know, this however works.
Any questions and I'll be glad to answer. Read everything in the new unzipped package first, I could have missed something. :roll:
Uhhh, maybe this will work?
grumpus
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support