External DVD-Burner

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dr.U
Level 2
Level 2

External DVD-Burner

Post by Dr.U »

Hi Mintlers!

I am thinking about purchasing an external dvd-burner. I have found two that look interesting but find nothing about how well they perform under Linux. The main candidate is the LG model GSA-E10L. Does anyone out there have experience with this model?

The other candidate is the Samsung SE-S184M. Again: Do any of you have experience using this model?

Thanks in advance,

-- Dr. U
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dr.U
Level 2
Level 2

Let's try another approach...

Post by Dr.U »

OK, so maybe no one has experience with the listed external DVD-burners.

So what would be a good buy? Reminder: I want an external (USB-port) DVD-Burner that is cheap, well-supported by Linux (in particular Bianca, of course) and with acceptable performance specs. In other words, I would like to have my cake and eat it too...

Thank you for any suggestions,

-- Dr. U
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: External DVD-Burner

Post by scorp123 »

Dr.U wrote:The main candidate is the LG model GSA-E10L. Does anyone out there have experience with this model?

The other candidate is the Samsung SE-S184M. Again: Do any of you have experience using this model?
Google is your friend. This guy claims he got the same LG burner you mentioned up there and it works for him under Ubuntu:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ost1207453

I couldn't find anything useful about that Samsung drive though. I found one posting in a French forum where one guy complained that it wasn't working in Mac OS X ... but that's it. :?

Hope this helps nontheless :wink:
Dr.U
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dr.U »

scorp123 wrote: Google is your friend. This guy claims he got the same LG burner you mentioned up there and it works for him under Ubuntu:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ost1207453

I couldn't find anything useful about that Samsung drive though. I found one posting in a French forum where one guy complained that it wasn't working in Mac OS X ... but that's it. :?

Hope this helps nontheless :wink:
Thank you very much, scorp123 :!: I too tried google but missed the reference you mention. I did find many postings in French, but I did not read them since I do not know more than three words in French: oui, non and avec :oops:

Again, thanks for your time and help.

-- Dr. U
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

I have a sony external dvd+-rw that works fine in Linux.

Model number is DRX-710UL

Not sure about the ones you mentioned though.
Dr.U
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks!

Post by Dr.U »

Fragadelic wrote:I have a sony external dvd+-rw that works fine in Linux.

Model number is DRX-710UL

Not sure about the ones you mentioned though.
Thanks, Fragadelic! I will check around for prices and easy availability. Currently I am leaning toward the LG because I can get it immediately and at a decent price.

Thanks again,
-- Dr. U
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

Currently I have a Liteon slimtype eSAU108-66 2 which works perfectly, as did the previous Liteon and Freecom burners (until they wore out). :D
It's particularly handy because it doesn't need a mains connection. however it can't be used with a USB hub.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."

Return to “Hardware Support”