Suggested Motherboard and Wifi PCI Card?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Suggested Motherboard and Wifi PCI Card?

Postby kenetik on Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:47 am

I recently did a custom build with the following components:
--
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Motherboard
EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155
CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3
TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900
--

However, I feel that parts of the Motherboard were faulty and will be replacing it, and am also experiencing the inability to use my network card as a Hotspot even after following numerous guides. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best supported motherboard and wireless network card? I am running Mint 15 KDE.

Thanks for your time!
kenetik
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Suggested Motherboard and Wifi PCI Card?

Postby AlbertP on Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:20 am

Your hotspot problems are likely not caused by your wireless card. You're probably having trouble with the DHCP server?

Also, any motherboard should work with socket 1155. Can you explain the problems that you are experiencing with the motherboard?
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Postby kenetik on Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:40 am

AlbertP,

Thank you for your quick reply. Let me note, this is not a problem with Mint, just trying to get some recommendations.

The motherboard was faulty on delivery and will be replacing it, so I was looking for recommendations from the community.

As for the wireless card and difficulties that I am currently experiencing. I am able to configure and start the wireless hotspot as ADHOC, however any device that see's it when connecting warns that the wireless network is not connected to the internet, would I still like to connect? / Thus it is not actually sharing the internet connection to the attached devices. Am I making sense?
kenetik
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AlbertP on Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:58 am

Maybe you can ignore that warning and connect anyway. Even then, it's certainly not a problem with your wireless card if other users can connect to the network, use the network, but just don't have internet.

You might be able to use Firestarter to redirect connections to the web from the wireless network to the wired network.

About the motherboard: you can probably have it replaced by a board of the same type without any additional cost. I would try that first, unless you have a good reason to assume that your motherboard problems are caused by Linux.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Postby kenetik on Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:52 pm

AlbertP,

Again thank you kindly for your replies.

I will look into the recommendations for the network card settings when I get home.

About the motherboard: you can probably have it replaced by a board of the same type without any additional cost. I would try that first, unless you have a good reason to assume that your motherboard problems are caused by Linux.

I know for a fact that the issues I am experiencing are not due to Linux, however a malfunctioning board. The company that sold the board to me is not willing to exchange or give me credit, so I was just seeking the guidance or recommendations from the community.
kenetik
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support